What is causing my dining room lights to go dim every so often?

And then they'll go back to normal...hmm?
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Sounds like your home needs a bigger amp service. When I bought my current home, it only had a 60 amp service so I bumped it up to 200. I don't have those problems anymore.
    myheartflys

Answer by myheartflys at 9:18 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Something else is drawing power that is on the same circuit. When our fridge kicked on our dining room light used to dim until we had the house rewired and the fridge was put on it's own circuit. No more dimming of lights anymore.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:19 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Ours do that when our dishwasher is running, it pulls a lot of power. Short of getting your home rewired, there's not a lot you can do.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:20 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• When our heaters come on, our lights dim.

Answer by Bmat at 9:24 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• We had that happen and it was a loose wire between the chandelier and the house wiring. It should be checked out as it could lead to a fire. If it happens when you turn on other things like an electric heater or AC, it could be you need a bigger amp service.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:28 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Our dining room lights dim every time the fridge cranks up, they're on the same circuit.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 10:52 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Yep, same circuitry as something else in the house that is draining the power.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• How often?

Once a day or less frequent - power company

More often - what kind of lights? Your light could be failing, you could have a bad electrical connection, etc.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:44 AM on Feb. 24, 2011