Frustrated with the high school

Last week i got a call saying my son was failing a few classes, I talked to my son about it and we figured out how to get all the late work caught up, i tried to call the school again on Thursday and left a message saying that i wanted all his late assignments and my son went to the teachers personally too. They never called me back until yesterday and she finally said we could do it and then my son comes home yesterday and says his English teacher keeps putting him off on giving him the papers. they do not have books for some reason. and then i am calling again and i feel like i get nowhere again. I think i have to be a complete b***h to get anywhere. Are there that many teachers out there that just don't care anymore?

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 9:29 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I've found that showing up at the school makes it very hard for them to ignore you. I've planted myself in the office and said I'd wait for what I needed. Amazingly, they suddenly have what we need when they see that we're talking to other parents who happen to come in.
    ElleninFL

Answer by ElleninFL at 10:06 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It is your son's job to get all his assignments, not yours. Now if a teacher promised him something and didn't follow through then you can get involved. But the teacher is full within his/her rights to say no late assignments, sorry you fail, see you in summer school!
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 11:20 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It isn't that they don't care, it is that they get really tired of the same students pulling the same crap with not doing assignments when they are due and then those students having wanting a second chance, usually with a parent pushing for the extra time.

Honestly - your son should have done the work the first time it was assigned. And I'm sure the teachers are telling him that they are helping prepare him for college - and they are right. The way colleges work now, lots of the assignments are done online and there are no deadline extensions, you either do it on time or you don't get to do it at all.

Sometimes the best thing that you can do for your child is to allow them to fail and to have to figure out how to pull themselves up on their own.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:36 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I seriously doubt that the underpaid, overworked teachers just don't care.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• ~*Sigh*~... i unfortunately live in California where our school systems are the 3rd worst!!! And I personally blame teachers unions, because they cannot fire bad teachers... plus I come across teacher that should never of entered the profession! There are good ones, just far and few between where I live!!!

My children's school district use something called "Zangle", to track you kids, sucks when teachers don't update and do their part, but works for the most part! I can track my kids (in all different schools, and ages) by this site. And there are teachers who do not care...

I had to take my son back to the school, after he was dropped off from carpool, to confront the school about a specific teacher allowing a known bully to put marks on my kid! The teacher litterally did nothing, and makes it known to all students he can care less what they do as long as they do the class work??? Yes, it's public school, explains most?
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:19 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• We are in Chicago. All of the public high school post assignments and grades on a website; there are several websites, my daughters school uses Edline.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:37 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• IF he is anything like my 14 yr old and is told repeatedly to ASK THE TEACHER and to SET UP A TIME WITH THE TEACHER to get the work and complete it and then doesn't, then the teacher has every right to either take her time or NOT allow him to make up the work and fail the class. I actually told a teacher to NOT accept the late work from my son because he took 2 weeks to contact the teacher, He flunked the class and spent part of his summer in summer school to make up for HIS choices. He will be spending the summer in summer school again to make up a class that he wouldn't do the work for.

It is NOT always the teacher. Let him deal with the consequences of not doing his work or talking to the teacher to get the makeup work. If you step in, he will have no idea how to get along in college.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• There are teachers out there that just don't care but there a lot who do also. Be the complete b888h and get them to move!

Answer by older at 9:32 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Underpaid and overworked? Ha. Ours are underworked, overpaid, and really don't give a damn; and we're in the best district in the state. Sad to say but you have to get in someone's face.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I am right there with MommaClark3 ....I too live in Calif. (as you know) and just got my older son's report card yesterday....ok need to back track some. Ever since 2nd grade it has been a serious struggle with my son for him to complete his work with or without me sitting with him.He has ADD and has seen the Dr about it...he is now in 11th grade and still not completing his assignments on time.We have him on a 504 plus he's in a special class to help take the load of me being the b***h staying on top of his work, contacting teachers, view websites that aren't updated, contacting his counselor or asst princ. so on and so on!! Yes my son should be completing his work on time, but with an attention disorder sometimes it doesn't work out that way. His grades have not really improved since we moved him into this special class...so now I'm not sure what more I can do for my son...Yes he needs to fail, which he is doing! Fun fun!
    hemimom03

Answer by hemimom03 at 12:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2011