Mailing resumes

We live in a rural area so we have to travel a fair distance to have a job worth waking up in the morning for. I know what businesses I want to target as they are in my field. My question is: What do you think about mailing your resume to potential employers. I personally don't see a problem with it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

• Only if their job opening says that you can mail them. A lot of employers do not want them mailed and will throw them out if they get resumes that way.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:33 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Mailing is fine. You could also call and talk to the Human Resource Manager. But what I've found is your best bet is to get to know someone who works for that company. Networking is the key to most jobs!

Answer by missanc at 9:34 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• If they are posting job openings then reply the way they ask for them to be replied to. If you are just sending out resumes in hopes that someone has an opening then you make sure you mail it with a cover letter that is personalized to each company.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:37 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I think it depends on the job posting. Sometimes they give specific instructions. If they don't I'd email and include in the cover letter that you'll also be sending a hardcopy by mail for thier review.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 10:31 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• So many jobs are only offered online now but I guess you have nothing to lose but time and postage if you mail unsolicited.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:45 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It would be best to make a "warm" contact, rather than a "cold" contact. Find someone in your Linkedin, or personal network, who is connected to the company. If you can't find someone, set up an informational interview.

I do career and job search coaching (I never charge CafeMoms for my services); and I will be happy to try to help you get a foot in the door. Send me a message if you would like to chat.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2011