When do most doctors recommend you don't travel?

I'll be 3 weeks away from my due date at the end of April and we have a wedding to go to that is 4 hours away. Do you think my doctor will tell me not to go? It is kind of a big family deal, so just trying to plan ahead. I kind of already mentioned to my MIL and SIL that I probably won't be able to go and they were very rude to me about it. I don't have another dr appointment for 2 weeks, so thought I'd ask you all.

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 9:33 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Usually last trimester. It depends on your pregnancy though, if all is well you should be able to travel up until about 7 mths.
    2flowers1m

Answer by 2flowers1m at 9:46 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I dont think she will let you go! But I would call and ask her!
    CherieByerly

Answer by CherieByerly at 9:35 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Do you have a high risk pregnancy? Are there any complications or do think a complication might arise? Is there a hospital close by to where you are going? Will you be able to get out and walk around to and from there? Most doctors don't recommend long travel after 7 months. However, if it is just 4 hours and you feel up to it and there is no complications and a hospital nearby, then I think you will be fine.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:39 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It is downtown Minnesota, so I'm sure there is a great hospital nearby, however I would hate to deliver there and be stuck there. Also, I'm not high risk. I do tend to have big babies though and I'm thinking this one might come early.
    moviemom22

Comment by moviemom22 (original poster) at 9:44 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My brother got married 2 months before my twins were due. I didn't go to the wedding even though it was only 2 hours away. I was on bed rest for pre-term labor. The thing my doctor said was that you could go into labor at any time and, do you want to have a baby in the NICU near where the wedding is? My answer was 'no', so I didn't go.

I'll ask you if you'd be OK having your baby at a hospital where the wedding is or someplace en route? How you answer will help you make your decision and may also give people who question your absence a reason why you're not there.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:54 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I wouldn't worry about driving. I wouldn't fly at that point. But driving isn't that big a deal espeically if you get out and stretch your legs every hour or 2.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 10:27 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• If you are driving, go if you feel up to it. I did a 5 hour car drive back home at 37 weeks...it was the longest ride of my life, but i did it. Just listen to your body.
    kristina.de

Answer by kristina.de at 12:25 PM on Feb. 23, 2011