Today's News: "Teachers must die" ???

Good morning, e-friends !!!

Something about today's tv news was kind of shocking !

An 11 year old boy was arrested because he sketched some violent scenes,
eg. children pointing weapons at their teachers, and the narration said
"Teachers must die".

Ok, this is scary, but what do you think as mothers / women ?

I feel that maybe this child was watching too many Action/Violent movies,
and nobody explained to him something about role-models.
E.g. "Bad guys are violent and do bad things, but look, Good guys like
Arnie or Sylvester, or Morgan Freeman will chase them and protect us".

From your experience with your kids, do you think there's something wrong with this
11 year old kid, or is it poor parenting, and the kid would be fine with some explanations of role models, i.e. Good Vs. Bad guys ???

Thanks

lillyblue111

Asked by lillyblue111 at 9:40 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• I personally think it is a little of both.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:45 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I dont think its any of that. Some kids at 11 yrs old just have anger management problems. I would be interested in knowing if he has been diagnosed with ADHD in the past because it is common for this age range to develop other issues like ODD or CD. I dont blame video games or movies for anything a child does. They all have their own imaginations but it is they emotions that tend to rule at 11-13 then anything else. I would need alot more background before being able to say what I think is the root of the problem.

Answer by gemgem at 9:49 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I think that being a child, he does not properly know how to deal with his emotions. Plus, it was never stated whether or not the poor kid was medicated which can sometimes cause aggression, suicidal thoughts, etc. I personally think the entire thing has been completely out of proportion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• blown out of proportion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• That is a rough age. Hormones are starting to kick in.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:56 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I don't think it has anything to do with tv. A LOT of adolencents watch the same crap. he may have been angry at something as simple as a bad grade, or he may have anger issues, abuse at home, lack of dicipine, low impulse control, difficulty expressing himself through words, an active imagination, potential to violence...see what i'm getting at here? Without know a lot of details, you can't make an assumption or conclusion.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:05 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I hear adults say all the time "he should be shot" or some other violent phrase! I do think it is cause for concern when a child is drawing those kinds of pictures. Especially in a time where there have been so many school shootings, it is pretty frightening. You don't know if it's typical 11 year old gun play art or if it's something more. I don't think he should be locked up, but he does need some counseling!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:16 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I think it is a little bit of both as well. His parents probably aren't involved much so he lacks the parental care a kids needs. However, the kid might just be a little messed up. Jeffrey Dahmer became messed up when his parents forced him to move away from his friends. This is my own conclusion, but I also think they may have completely disapproved of gay relationships and being that he had homosexual fantasies might have contributed to that as well.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 10:58 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I was talking to a co-worker about this and she said in her day the boys would draw pictures of themselves shooting Japanese people. (She is 75 and WWII was going on then) Does that mean they all grew up to be xenophobic killers? No, it meant they drew pictures about the world around them. How many of us played "Hangman" as kids? Did we grow up to be lynching psychopaths? Of course not. This picture was drawn at the direction of his therapist. I'm sure it illustrates his frustration and anger at some situation at school. I think this is another instance of gross overreaction. Unless there was some other evidence this poor kid was a threat, like angry outbursts or physical threats, the police have just traumatized an innocent child.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 10:58 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• This is not telling the whole story- someone actually posted the full story on here the other day......The boy has ADD and he doctor asked him to draw pictures asa way to cope- it does not mean he is actually going to kill teachers.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/23/11-year-old-boy-arrested-over-stick-figure-drawing-video/?a_dgi=aolshare_twitter

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:25 PM on Feb. 23, 2011