My baby is gonna be 3. I cant get her off the bottle!! She needs it to go to sleep....what do i do?

She was on the binky, tht was taken away about 6 mths ago. She is fully potty trained for about 7 mths now.

2flowers1m

Asked by 2flowers1m at 9:44 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She shouldn't be using a bottle to go to sleep. That is REALLY REALLY bad for her teeth.

She's not going to stop using it on her own. You're the one who prepares her the bottle and gives it to her...stop doing that. She might cry the first few nights but she'll get over it quickly.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:49 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• May sound harsh, but cold turkey is best. Honestly, and, let her cry it out. I did this with all 3 of my kids. They all survived, and were not traumatized, and are now 26, 24 (and the mom of 2 herself), and 17. She may cry a couple days, but she will get over it, and move on.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 9:50 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Talk to her. She's big enough to understand things like being a big girl and things like that. Mentally prepare yourself for the crying, etc. then take it away at nap time at first and if she doesn't take a nap take it at night. I'd wait till the weekend of course. :) We never let our children take anything with them to bed but the sippy cup drama has been pretty good. It passes. Good luck. It seems a lot of mom's have done well with the "throw the binky's away saying they're for other kids" or something like that.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 9:51 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• just throw it away
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 9:51 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Just take it away.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:54 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Just take it away... NO child period should go to bed witha bottle it's bad for their teeth for one and as you know they get a little too attatched to it. Try making a big deal out of it (i'm serious) tell she's going to be a big girl and trade in her bottle for a teddy bear or a new blanket, take her to build-a-bear or something...
    lashes325

Answer by lashes325 at 9:58 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• be sure to give her plenty of praise and tell her she's a big girl and that you're proud of her and this is a big step also
    lashes325

Answer by lashes325 at 9:59 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Oh, I feel your pain. My daughter was the same way. We tried just stopping several times but she would cry and cry for hours, and I finally couldn't take it any more, it just wasn't worth it. We did a count down. We did a lot of talk about how big girls drink from cups and how on a certain day (it ended up being her 4th birthday because we had a baby and knew she would regress) there would be no more bottles. We built this up for a long time and since her birthday, she hasn't asked for a bottle at all. Don't let anyone make you feel like a bad mom for letting her have a bottle. She's your baby, you know her best. For my daughter, she never had a pacifier or blankie, the bottle was something that comforted her. Your daughter will not be on a bottle forever, each kid is different,she may just take longer to give it up. Send me a message if you want to talk more.
    gratefulmom913

Answer by gratefulmom913 at 10:00 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My 6.5 year old twins still take a sippy cup to bed with them. Everyone is OK with it as it's a cup of water. If DD is drinking something other than water at night, I'd try diluting it down and transitioning to100% water. If you do go cold turkey and take it away, most times the crying lasts for less than a week.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:01 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I agree with lashes325. It's YOUR daughter - only you know what is best for her! My older daughter had her bottle til she was three - she's 27 now and is fine. My 2nd daughter turned 4 in December and is still "needing her "bubba" for comfort to sleep. After she drinks it, we brush her teeth. We have tried several times to get her off it, by talking to her, we treid the countdown and other things, but they just didn't work.
    Let your kids be kids. Some kids potty train at a year and a half, some don't. You wouldn't take the diapers/pull-ups away before she's ready. I know my baby girl will give them up when she's ready, and yours will too.
    myssteryyy

Answer by myssteryyy at 10:23 AM on Feb. 23, 2011