To those that have done it: should we drive 12 hrs or fly for 2 hrs with 18 mo. old??

I know both have their pros and cons but I can't decide which to do when we go to the beach this summer. What do you think?

LisaG10

Asked by LisaG10 at 9:47 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Travel

• My son is 4 now. His fisrt road trip was 8 hours and he was 6 wks old. We pretty much only travel in the car and we've been as far as 13 hours.

It's never been a problem and you get to see so much more than when you fly...i think in many ways it can be a better experience for a child.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:51 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• flying might be easier on you guys. if you drive baby has to be in the carseat for 12hrs....if you fly baby only has to be in carseat for the drive there, the 2hr flight anf the drive from the airport to where your going. i took 2 round trips, one when ds was 10 months old and the last was when he was 23 months old. Flying was the best option for us, still a little stressful but if we didnt do the ruffly 6hr fligh it would have been a 24h drive with pulling over every few hrs to check diapers, get food, play for a bit, ect.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:55 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I have done both. they were younger than 18 months and I had no problems with them. My daughter drives from Virgina with my grandson and they have no problems with him he sleeps most of the time.
    princesschilly

Answer by princesschilly at 10:00 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I just took a drive to my inlaws with DS who is 19 months....It was just over 12 hours. We did fine with it...we left at midnight because that was when DH was able to sign out on leave(military) but it is so much easier to drive through the night...this way DS could sleep most of the time....on the drive back from the inlaws we got stuck in the aftermath of the 2 snow storms that hit this month so our 12 hour drive turned into a 24 hour drive....DS did amazing....he slept most of the time then would wake up to munch a little then right back to sleep after his dirty look of what the hell am I still doing in this car....I have also taken a few flights with DS and for me its not to much better flying over driving....honestly it depends on if your child has a harder time sitting down for longer periods of time...if so then fly...if they are not to bad with having to stay in the car for a while then drive....Good luck!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:01 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• If you can afford it, I would fly. You'll spend less time traveling and will have more time to just relax and enjoy family time. 12 hours in a car seat is a long time for a little one.
    gratefulmom913

Answer by gratefulmom913 at 10:03 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I couldn't make a 4 hour drive to NYC with my kids when they we that age unless it was past their bed time and they were passed out. Flying was soooo much easier if you are with someone who will help carry your child or your childs carseat for the airplane and yes you must but a seperate ticket for your child, they no longer allow you to hold your child on an airplane. Imagine being an active 18 month old strapped down in a carseat for 12 hours....... I don't think he/she will be very happy at all and will make for a tense and distracted ride. Good luck with what ever path you choose :)
    MelissaAnn224

Answer by MelissaAnn224 at 10:10 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• FLY!!!!!!!!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:30 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My dd is 4.. and has been on 18hr trips in a car (texas to indiana).. It was a good experience.. Having her around helped us "slow down" on the drive, stop & enjoyed a few picnics along the way..

You could factor in-
    -As parents which do YOU both prefer? Do u like to enjoy a car ride? Or does it make u anxious? Do you like to be there & done with it? or does being in that cabin stuck with strangers make u nervous cuz your kid may do who knows what around strangers?
    (I have a bit of anxiety so a plane ride would be hell for me with a young child! LOL)
    -How well does your child do in a carseat? Are they relaxed while u drive & can be entertained while buckled in? Or does it about drive them crazy?...
    -How does your child do with new surroundings, people, sounds?... Some kids this is a breeze.. Some kids may become a handful on a plane with all this new commotion..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:39 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• We've always driven and it was never a problem.. Plan to stop along the way for potty breaks and some energy release time! Pack things to amuse in the car. May take a bit longer than you planned but if you plan to travel this way in the future why not get them ready for it when they are young. Patience is something that needs to be worked on...we live in such an intstant gratitude society! Enjoy the scenery!
    lradant

Answer by lradant at 11:11 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Fly..... We've driven with our children several times, but only when we have plenty of time and we are driving a max of 4 hours a day.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:37 PM on Feb. 23, 2011