How much does it cost to write up a Will?

I have been wanting to for a while but now since my brother in-law recently died my mother in-law has been really pushing us to do it. The thing is she told us it cost like $1200 I thought all it cost was the price of the notary (which with our bank is free).

mrsbean08

Asked by mrsbean08 at 9:50 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

• If you use a lawyer to do it you'll pay for thier services. You can write it yourself on a piece of loosleaf and have it notarized for a lot less. I guess it depends on how much you're worth. If you're just willing away keepsake's to your children & grandchildren you probably don't need to see a lawyer but if you've got a little chunk of wealth it would probably be worth the money.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:54 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• There are websites where you can write one up for free.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:51 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• We just went through estate planning to include setting up wills and trusts; cost us $1,200.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• well we don't have a home or anything. We rent, this is just mainly for our children saying who gets them.
    mrsbean08

Comment by mrsbean08 (original poster) at 9:53 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• you can go to staples or office max and pick up all the forms to do it yourself and then all you have to to is get them noterized. thats where the lawyers get all their forms from and then charge you and arm and a leg to fill them out.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:56 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I have a PrePaid Legal membership, so my will was included with my membership ... but I've heard that it's usually around $500 minimum for a will .. and many people have told me they have paid as much as $1,500.
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 10:53 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• You can go to OfficeMax and get a will template. Fill it out make sure you and hubby agree and get it notorized. It is fine like that, make sure the intended guardian agrees with the will and make sure life insurance policy beneficiaries agree with the Will.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• We used the poor man's copyright and just typed it up in words and mailed it to ourselves. We have it in our safe.
    LogansMommy621

Answer by LogansMommy621 at 12:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• We typed up our own, had it notarized, with two witnesses

Answer by rkoloms at 2:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Yikes! I don't think it should cost you $1200, but it does depend on how complicated your will is.
    I'd estimate closer to $300 if you have a lawyer help you with it, and it's pretty straight forward.

Our Will is super basic, so we paid about $50 for a State specific Will from USLegalForms.com. It also had power of attorney and living will in there.

I can say that it's worth it to get it done, and get it done right though. It will be such a weight of your shoulders to know that if anything should happen to you or your spouse, at least your kid(s) will be taken care of.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:08 PM on Feb. 23, 2011