Delivery

Is 36 weeks too early to have a baby? I am 35 weeks and I dont think im gonna make it to my due date! I think iwill have him at 36 or 37 weeks. Is that to early?

CherieByerly

Asked by CherieByerly at 9:58 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• No. My Dr always said if I went into labor at 36 weeks he wouldnt stop it. The last month is to put on as much weight as possible on the baby. They are usually developed fully by 36 weeks.

Answer by gemgem at 9:59 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• While they are usually developed at 36 weeks, the due date can be off by as much as 2 weeks.

So if your EDD is off then what you think is 36 weeks could actually be 34 weeks.

I would ask my doctor to stop it if they hadn't already said that they would.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:07 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• At 36 weeks they do worry a little bit about lung development. My twins were born at 37 weeks and had minimal problems (one was very small - under 4 lb). I did have shots at 28 weeks when I had pre-term labor to help develop their lungs. My niece was born at 37.5 weeks and had lots of problems. I think she would have had the same problems even if she would have stayed inside longer. Most babies do OK when they are born at 36 weeks.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:10 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Developed sufficantly and developed fully are two different things. Every mother has that feeling around 35-36 weeks. It means it is time to set up the crib etc. It will pass and you will still be pregnant weeks from now.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 10:23 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• no that isn't to early . i went into preterm @ 26 weeks they had to give me two shots to stop it and if that didn't work i would have had to deliver her @ 26 weeks. that is too early. they said if i was closer to 36 weeks they wouldn't have tried to stop the labor. I did get put on bed rest after that though because it had happened again. you could last the whole 40weeks
    princesschilly

Answer by princesschilly at 10:53 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• i have always been told to keep them in there as long as you can but i think it would be fine to have them at 36 weeks i was in the hosp with really bad contractions i was like 2 days away from 37 weeks and they told me that they would not stop me if i went into labor cuz im far enough along
    Tarrahs2011

Answer by Tarrahs2011 at 10:54 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• While you don't want to induce that early and most docs will try to stop labor until you hit 37 weeks if your body goes into labor on it's own and can't be stopped then it happened for a reason and while the medical community might not be able to figure out what that isI hope you have a healthy baby in the end if that is what happens.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:11 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• The survival rate is 50% after 26 weeks and increases weekly after that. The baby is fully developed (usually) at 37 weeks and the neurons in the brain are just finishing developing after that point (but they continue to develop after the baby is born), as well as gaining that baby fat. So, at 37 weeks, you are considered full term and can go into labor at any point.
    kristina.de

Answer by kristina.de at 12:29 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It might be~ no way to know until after baby is out.

Sometimes babies born at 40 weeks have preemie complications.
    If your baby is signalling to your body that it's ready & time to come out and does so spontaneously then it's probably a good sign.

If you're thinking this because of any signs, you might also evaluate if these are true labor symptoms or more like indications that you need to pay better attention to your health, rest, stress, hydration... etc.
    Have you tried to tame things?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:40 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• "If possible, it's best to stay pregnant for at least 39 to 40 weeks.

There are lots of important things happening to your baby in the last few weeks of pregnancy. For example, your baby's brain and lungs are still growing. Thirty-nine weeks gives your baby all the time he needs to grow before he's born.

You might not have a choice about when to have your baby. If there are problems with your pregnancy or your baby's health, you may need to have your baby earlier. But if you have a choice and you're planning to schedule your baby's birth, wait until at least 39 weeks. "

(March Of Dimes)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:42 PM on Feb. 23, 2011