We all know YOU love to stay at home and raise your children, but let's here from those working mothers. What are things you get to do that SAHM do not?

Drive luxury cars, help your family financially, go on vacations, cruises, get your hair done anytime you want, buy your children the best clothing and shoes, take them out to the movies, enroll them in all sorts of sports, including traveling sporting events? Come on I am tired of this answer section being dominated by SAHM and them rubbing their budgeting sense in everyone's face. I work and I am damn proud of it. I can go wherever and whenever I want. So, let's here it.

SAHM: You don't have to respond. It's not concerning you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• I get to travel for work...China, Japan, Europe...all paid by the company. The downside: I am away from my family.

Between SO and I, we bring in around 100K a year. Not wealthy by any means but we do pay everything off with cash and we use tax returns to go on vacations or make large purchases for the house or to remodel.

We don't spend out of our budget so that we aren't in loads of debt (right now only 2 vehicles and the house)
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:10 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• lol drive luxury cars? vacations? cruises? yeah maybe you should generalize this post more to wealthy moms. Not every mom who works is rich
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:07 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• UGH.. I hate the post from yesterday about SAHM feeling she was more of a parent than I am because I work but this isn't much better.. I am a working mom beacuse I HAVE to be, if I could afford luxury cars or expensive trips and brand name clothing, then I wouldn't HAVE to work outside the home.. the money helps to have him in activites he couldn't otherwise be in and for him to be able to have a college fund and for him to have more opportunity than we ever had but its not about material possessions vs not having them - I do feel my son gets the best of both worlds with less stressed financial parents and better one on one quality time with us plus social interaction with kids he wouldn't otherwise get until school age -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:57 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Everything you list (drive luxury cars, go on vacations, etc.), I have been able to do as a SAHM and as a working mom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• No wonder they posted Anon... they posted just to stir up DRAMA

Most working moms I know are barely making ends meet, they have no nice car, let alone house, and surely no fancy vacation, because they are paying others to raise their kids. Sadly it comes down to 2 incomes in society, and unless you have a really good man (woman, transgender, whatever your with)... you cannot afford to luxury of being a SAHM

Guessing OP also has no man (or the great life)... just my opinion since they seem do hell bent on bashing people on CM, where they seem to be spending their time as well... because if their life is that great they wouldn't have posted anon bashing those that can afford a life they obviously don't have? If their life was so amazing they wouldn't be socializing like those they seem to hate so much... sounds like a case of the "green monster" (envy)... otherwise it wouldn't bother them..
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:40 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Ummmm . . . I work full time outside the home as does my husband, and we can by no means afford what you have listed. What we do get is a roof over our heads and food in the house and health insurance. Daycare is expensive, but believe me, I have done the math. We couldn't make it without me working unless we were willing to live off of public assistance.

I work so we don't have to pay for our food with food stamps. I work so we don't have to get TANF or housing assistance. I work so that I don't have to be embarrassed whenever I pay my rent or buy groceries because we need help.

I work so that I can teach my children that there are things we have to do in life. Many times it doesn't matter what we WANT to do. It's what we HAVE to do.

I work so we have an emergency fund on rainy days (just starting to work that out), so we can afford to live in a good school district, and so we can save up for that disney trip.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 10:54 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Funny, when I was a working mom (I taught) it did not lead to many of the things you have listed here. Luxury cars are a waste of money, I still help my family financially by working at home, we go on more vacations now because my schedule is more flexible, I don't have any desire to go on a cruise, I get my hair cut once every two years so I can donate it, my kids understand the value of good clothing and play clothing - we don't need to show off to impress everyone, we go to the movies as often as we want and my kids don't care for sports any more than I do - but we are active in other organizations. I don't see the "benefits' you described as being something only for all working moms - many working moms don't get them and many SAHMs do. Your logic is flawed.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:59 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I guess if the only way you can afford these nice things is to be a 'working mom' then your hubby isn't making enough!

::eye roll::Well GEE we have a smart one in the house. 

I understand your life, for I lived it when I was a child. My dad made a KILLING, and my mom never had to work. Hell, I still have some benefits as an adult with having a father in his position. HOWEVER, I know Some cannot even afford that with TWO incomes now a days. It's rough out there for many families. Maybe you didn't intend it this way, I just think that comment makes you sound like a BITCH. ::SHRUGS::

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• So I'm a working mom (teacher) who wants to be home (currently on maternity leave). I think the only thing I really appreciate about working outside the home is the social interaction. It can get really lonely being home with the kids all day. I feel more connected to the world when I'm at work. But as a teacher, I can't really say we have the financial benefits you've been talking about.
    gratefulmom913

Answer by gratefulmom913 at 10:08 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I work full time and always will. I think the only thing i get that a lot of SAHM's don't is more personal time. I mean, i have my lunch hour at work, the drive to and from with no child in the car so i can listen to whatever i want, plus i work alone in my office most of the day so i can make un-interrupted phone calls, and have un-interrupted chats with adults during the day.

I cut my own hair and bite my nails, and i cut DH and DS hair too. I don't drive a nice car, 2003 Saturn Ion with 180,000 miles. Vacation, for us, is camping at my DH's uncle's deer camp about 3 hrs away.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 10:11 AM on Feb. 23, 2011