How do i start a garden?

I have some tomato seedlings I've started indoors. I have no place to put the seedlings once they get bigger. I could put them in pots but I'd rather just plant them in the ground. I didnt think ahead, and I have nothing prepared. So....where do I start? find a spot that has equal shares of sun and shade? or all sun? then just start digging? I'd have to add topsoil because south georgian soil is sandy

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 10:03 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Don't add topsoil, it has no nutrients. Add good garden soil or some compost to your existing soil. Plant them in full sun (7 or more hours a day). Space the seedlings about a foot and a half apart.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:05 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Find a place with alot of sunlight. You can start by looking at the soil and seeing what might be added or taken away. For instance my soil has a tendency to have bugs that would eat my plants. I treat the soil about a month in advance to kill them. I also use both top soil and other soil with nutrients and make rows where I plan to plant my seedlings. Check with your farmers almanac as well for the best time of plant them.
    Once you do all that then just plant them. I put mine in the ground and use miracle grow on them. Dont forget to get the wire fence things to go around them too. Otherwise they fall over and animals can get to the fruit or they rot.

Answer by gemgem at 10:26 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• what are those cages called
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 10:44 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• tomato cages
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:24 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• oh ok..literally "cages" lol thanks
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Amend your soil before planting the seedlings. There should be some local gardening websites that give the right mixtures, or a nursery could guide you. If you have them in your area, the rectangular tomatoe cages are the best for support, as opposed to the cylindrical ones.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2011