I need St. Patrick's day dinner help

When I was little my mom would go all out on this day becasue we are Irish. She would make corned beef, cooked cabbage and mashed potatoes and she would dye the milk green. She hasnt been able to do this in years though because has Multiple Sclerosis So I would like to do it for her. I have no idea how to cook the corned beef or cabbage. I am also looking for any other ideas!

Lobelia

Asked by Lobelia at 10:45 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Here's a link to a recipe I found: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/corned-beef-and-cabbage-i/Detail.aspx. This is essentially how I cook it myself. Of course, if you want to do mashed potatoes, you can switch that part around, or even leave out the carrots if you like. I also like to make Irish Soda Bread to go with it.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 10:58 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Look on Bobby Flay's food network website, he is 100% irish, and I made his corned beef and cabbage last year, it was really great!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:09 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Go to allrecipes.com... they have EVERY recipe imaginable. Here's a website I found also http://www.dochara.com/the-irish/food-recipes/traditional-foods-of-ireland/
    GL and it is so sweet ur helping your mom!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:54 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Alton Brown's Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe: This has instructions for making your own at home corned beef below the instructions for the corned beef and cabbage.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/corned-beef-and-cabbage-recipe/index.html

If you want to make the cabbage seperately, I would just throw some corned beef for flavor into a pan with the cut up cabbage and add a little water, and cook it covered until it's soft, my mom used to make us sausage and cabbage that way when we were little.
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 11:51 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I just throw the cornbeef in a slow cooker, add the packet of seasonings, Quarter a cabbage put in pot on outside and add potatoes & carrots to middle. Cook for 7 hrs on high.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 2:58 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I usually do Irish stew which is made with lamb chops and lots of vegies. We have Irish soda bread with it and good butter. Then we have a nice flan with whipped cream on top. Real Irish cooking is quite varied. I have made a special tablecloth and napkins that are dark green and these are used for that day. The adults are allowed to drink Guinness and the children are allowed to have fruit punch. The cholesterol is a bit over the top for this meal, but we are usually low fat so it does not matter too much.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 6:22 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Irish Stew
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 small yellow onion -- chopped
    1 1/2 cups baby carrots -- halved lengthwise (or cut, regular carrots)
    6 small white potatoes -- baby or miniature if available, halved or quartered (I love those yukon golds!)
    2 cloves garlic -- minced
    1 1/2 cups cannellini beans, cooked -- (1 can) drained and rinsed (or your own cooked, dried beans)
    2 cups vegetable stock
    1 bay leaf
    1/4 cup dry white wine (I use Guinness, of course)
    2 tablespoons tamari or braggs or soy sauce
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    3 large kale leaves -- or other dark leafy greens, chopped, cooked in simmering water to cover until tender, and drained

Cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes (I do this in the crock, on high). Transfer the onions to a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker. Add the carrots, potatoes, garlic, beans, stock, bay leaf, wine, tamari, and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours. About 10 minutes before serving, stir in the cooked kale. Serve hot.