• In the Spotlight:

How often do you have your carpets cleaned?

wishbearmom

Asked by wishbearmom at 11:05 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Home & Garden

• When we had carpet it was a light cream color and I bought a carpet cleaner that we used once a month. The woman who had it put down let the carpet guys do it while she was on vacation and came home to find the wrong color of carpet had been laid, shortly after she sold the house. LOL
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:08 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• ~*Not Too Often*~... I used to think doing it once a month was a good idea! Than I was told how doing it too often was an issue, can cause mold and so forth... so we changed us, we no longer allow people to wear shoes on the carpet, no food/drink over the carpet, and when we go back to house hunting again (with the realtor) I refuse to buy a house with carpet!!! t holds dirt like... I want hard wood floors!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:12 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Once in the Spring and once in the Fall.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:29 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• About ever 3-4 mo
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 12:21 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Ladies when you first install new carpet,you should not need them cleaned for at least a year or more.if you clean it yourself all warranties are void,it takes all the protectant out..Let a professional do it and all warranties on said carpet stay in effect.Leaving shoes off can cause worse staining than leaving them on!Oils on your feet,sweating ,can cause worse staining.Be sure and ask for a heat extractor to be used by professionals,this cleans them the best and drys them quicker.There are several methods ,such as dry cleaning they make a product called Host,that is made from orange peelings,safe for pets and children,you can eat it ! manufactor's only recomend 3 days a week to vaccum .They have carpet out now you can clean with bleach.My spelling is bad but info is correct as i own a floor covering store.Too much cleaning can ruin any carpet.stainmaster is just a name all carpet has it.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 2:28 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• We have beige carpet and 2 kids under 5....we have to shampoo the carpet every 3 months. Funny that you asked this, we just did it today! I can't wait to get rid of this stupid carpet.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 11:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My SO has been in carpet cleaning for about 20 years. You need hot water extraction to not void the warranty this part is true. Dry soil remover is 80% of the cleaning so three times a week isn't enough. There are low moisture methods that are just as good as steam cleaning. Just by calling someone out to steam clean doesnt mean your warranty will be valid. They need to use CRI approved solutions (HOST isn't one of them) and an approved truck mount. If you leave dry soil in carpet too long it will scratch the fibers and leave a traffic pattern this is why using your vacuum is important.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 11:08 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• oops answering your question my SO says you can do them as often as you want. He recommends once a year.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 11:09 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It depends, Once a month - 3 months.
    lillyblue111

Answer by lillyblue111 at 1:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I see shampoo the carpet comments on this site. Ladies, please note soap causes a build up of residue that makes it necessary to continually clean your carpet because it's never clean. Just like everywhere you put the laundry soap bottle there is a tacky residue, the same is in your carpet. You need a soap free solution at least once a year.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 2:21 PM on Feb. 24, 2011