How do you deal with pets tracking mud in the house?

wishbearmom

Asked by wishbearmom at 11:16 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Pets

• You just asked my biggest annoyance in life! Spring is coming and OH the muddy feet!!!

We built a dog mud room on our house that is all tiled and has a dog stall where I can hose them down when they come in with dirty feet. That was our solution.

Before we had the dog wing...lol, I trained my dog to "stand" and "stay" and wiped each foot down by towel.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:18 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Cheap rugs over hard floors and a good broom and mop! lol
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 11:23 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• We clean them off in the garage the best we can. However........since we've always been dog people we broke down and installed laminate flooring in our home since we do not have a mud room. It looks very nice, easy to clean and maintain. Our dogs are always going to track something in the house (i.e. grass, sticks, mud, dirt, etc.) so laminate flooring is much easier and lasts longer than carpet. Our dogs stay outside during the day and inside during the night time. Hope that helps :-)
    Sniffles101

Answer by Sniffles101 at 11:23 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I kept a wash basin, and towel by the door. Washed and dried their feet every time they came in.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:25 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• While we do not live in the country YET, when the snow and muck comes (all winter) I keep a towel on the floor by the back door, and another for wiping off feet. I am really diligent and make sure to wipe the doggy feet every time. Consistancy is key in most things in homemaking.
    BeanIrene1

Answer by BeanIrene1 at 11:34 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• A huge rug at the door inside and a really good one outside the door. We also have a long walkway to the door and that helps a lot before they actually get in the house. I sweep, and mop on a regular basis as well so it's not too bad. We also walk our dogs, so they don't run free when we go out so we avoid the worst spots in the yard.
    When it's really bad we have paw protectors we put on them and they work great. They can be thrown in the washer and are water proof, and very durable.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:48 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Our dog is trained so that when she comes in and we say feet, she lies down on a towel and lets us wipe her feet and belly. We do this sometimes even when it isn't muddy just to keep her in practice.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 12:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• We wipe our dogs feet before they come in. We just keep a rag towel by the back door.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Mine are crate trained and when they come in I grab them and put them in their crates and they stay there until they are cleaned off. Then I was the towels. lot of work but i havent come up with a better way.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 4:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I don't have an inside/outside pet. Wat a friend of my dh does is wipes the dog's paws in the mud room every time she comes back into the house.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2011