Bono on Religion

Here is a great interview with Bono and his views on religion:

http://networkedblogs.com/eEFtd?a=share&ref=nf

What are some of the points he made that resonate with you? What are some of the things he said that make you shake your head?

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 11:17 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I must admit that I was having a "fallen" moment and wasn't going to read it because I was "thinking" oh great, another celebrity bashing Jesus and I was pleasantly surprised that he was so bold in staying true to his beliefs. I only read the first page but thought it was great! I thought his revelation of grace was very well spoken. That concept is a difficult one and also, surprisingly, is God's love. It's so hard for people to separate God's love from their parent's love and comprehend with rhema knowledge how much God loves us and how great His Grace is. Again, I thought it was great :)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 4:29 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• He's a celebrity, and I put no more stock in their opinions on anything than anyone else I don't know. His views have nothing to do with his talent for music, and that is all I care about.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:41 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• On local talk radio a couple of months ago, the host was trying to get the audience to concede that U-2's music was Christian music. I kept wondering what difference it would make if there were religious undertones to the music, if that's not what I was getting out of it myself.

It's fine with me if Bono's views on religion and faith don't coincide with mine.  His views don't influence mine any more than mine influence his, and his music, whatever he meant it to be, isn't spiritual in a faith-based way to me.  Like looking at a piece of abstract art, I will get something different out of it than might someone else--and neither of us might see what the artist meant for us to see.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:01 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Just reinforces why Bono is one of my favorite celebrities, and U2 is one of my favorite groups.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 1:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I liked his view point on Karma and agree with that way of thinking... There are consequences to our actions and good deeds may go unnoticed but they will come back to you in other forms, good and bad... so naturally do no harm etc. I don't agree with his other view points as I am not a religious person but I appreciate that he has his own perception of faith.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 4:12 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• For some reason, I can't get that link to come up when I search, but I think I may have found the same interview somewhere else. It could be a different one though.

I don't think he really understands Karma if says things like "I'd be in big trouble if Karma was going to finally be my judge", plus Karma is not an eye for eye, etc. There are some NT scholars and some Christians who believe Jesus never really claimed to be the Messiah. It all depends how you interpret the Bible and how you think it was put together. He has a right to believe what he wants about it though, and I'm not a huge fan or anything but I do like some of his music--whether it's Christian or not. ;-) Most of what he's saying gives me the impression that he's a 'born again' Christian instead of a Catholic, do you know if that's correct?
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I liked everything he said! Especially the part where he says that Jesus is like no other. :)
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 1:30 PM on Mar. 1, 2011