I have a curious problem. My 4 month old girl wakes up almost every hour at night....

I give her the pacifier and she goes right back to sleep. The pacifier works every time till its been 7 hours and then she needs to eat. Problem is...she use to sleep straight through 7 hours. It has been 5 nights now that she wakes up hourly, takes the pacifier and goes back to sleep. Why the change and suggestions on how to break the new phase? Even though I am getting the 7 hour sleep I find I am more tired with the broken up sleep.

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 11:30 AM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you swaddle?

Answer by admckenzie at 11:35 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• She is having a growth spurt. If you would nurse her, rather than pop in a pacifier, she would sleep longer.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:36 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Nothing is odd or curious. Babies wake up. Period. Just part of life. My son woke up a bazillion times a night until he was almost 2, and didn't truly start sleeping through the night until he was well over 4 years old.

Kids need to know their parents are there, especially in the dark when they feel most vulnerable. They need security.

Also the statistics say that babies who wake up more often at night are less likely to pass away from SIDS. (I try to be very educated on this subject, as it is very very close to my heart)

Count your blessings, and enjoy your baby, no matter the time. Sleep is important yes, but you will be able to sleep when your baby is no longer a baby. Just enjoy it for now.
    BeanIrene1

Answer by BeanIrene1 at 11:38 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Is she ready for cereal yet? DS went through that at about the same age, sometimes they get their days and nights mixed up,, once he started eating Cereal at night it went away,, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:43 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• This is normal infant behavior. Don't expect a sleeping pattern to last.

As to cereal... it's well known to make them wake MORE.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:46 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I found around that age my boys needed more activity during the day to sleep better at night- trying more play time and maybe going to bed a little later- also-if the cold or bad weather has been keeping you inside-try to find a way to get out and get some fresh air-
    Both of my boys were on cereal at this age and it filled them up but I really think the fresh air and movement was the key to sleep-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:51 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• The reason it is curious to me...my three other children never did this. Once they started sleeping through the night it stayed that way. I understand all children are different. It just seemed different that she was sleeping through the night for weeks and then the change.
    AmyLynn5398

Comment by AmyLynn5398 (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Feb. 23, 2011

• My son started waking a lot during the night at this age. He was hungry all the time! So my Dr. told me to start him with cereal and it made a big difference. For us, he did sleep better. But he was also teething at the time as well. That could be a possibility. DS got his first tooth right at 5 months old. If you think she may be teething, try some Tylenol and see if she sleeps longer. Teething tablets also help a lot! Hope you get some uninterrupted sleep soon!
    Blakesmommy0907

Answer by Blakesmommy0907 at 1:12 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Each child is different. Don't keep giving her the pacifier. Let her get herself back to sleep, unless you want to keep doing this.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:31 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Maybe she is still hungry. Maybe she need something to keep her full.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2011