What is the traditonal/proper way to burn a prayer candle?

I have recently bought several prayer candles with various saints on them. Is it necessary to keep the candle burning once it is lite? Do you re-light it and say the prayer each time?

MommasCooCoo

Asked by MommasCooCoo at 2:15 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• We Catholic "witch craft" people call this lighting a novena. In church they stay lit or at least they did when I was young. At home I would put them out and send out the prayer over again the next time I lit it. We do an Advent Wreath every year that is kind of cool...my kids really enjoy it...but those too get extinguished when we are done.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:15 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Depends on what faith you are, I think.
    portakolis08

Answer by portakolis08 at 2:26 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Yes, I agree. I believe this is of the Cathloic faith
    memawx3

Answer by memawx3 at 4:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Leaving it burn is a fire hazard. Use a snuffer to put it out re-light and say the prayer again each time you do.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I thought you take a match or a lighter and light the darn thing? Witch craft I say!!
    Anonymous