Abortion---Should I?

It's not what you think. This is not a question about if I should or should not. And It's not a question if it is right or wrong. Just so we are clear I am pro choice but personally would not do it. The problem is that my sil is going to have one. Some history: She has one child already and only make 300 (bring home) a month. All the family has to help her and she lives at home. Her ex-boyfriend put holes in the condom and she ended up pg. She can't handle the idea of adoption so she is going with abortion. Now, The problem is she wants me to take her. I am! just because I want to make sure she is not going to a place that is dirty and what have you. plus, she needs some support to love her unconditionally which i am glad to do for her. She knows I don't agree with it and not happy but willing to let her make her choice. Her family (my in-laws) are totally against abortion all together. I know I will have to hear it from the family and I guess I willing to take it. But am I really that wrong for stepping in when everyone else (including her mother) was calling her a baby killer and telling her 2 yr old that she was killing her baby? I don't think I am wrong for stepping in and helping her through this but wanted your opinion...should I have stayed out of it or did i do the right thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• i personally am pro-life but i think it's great that you're supporting her when everyone else has let her down and done her wrong.

i also think it's entirely f-cked up that someone would tell her two year old that "your mom is a baby killer". i guess it's wrong to kill babies but ok to mess one up psychologically. how backwards is that? that's really immature. how high and mighty is that. i can't even get over how mad that makes me.

while i don't believe in it (personally). i believe you're doing the right thing in showing her the support she obviously needs.
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 12:15 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It sounds like she needs some support and love in a very difficult time. You are not trying to force your opinion on her, just want to make sure she is safe. I applaud your understanding and compassion.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I had one when I was younger( pill abortion) and I regret it every single day of my life. I think about how old that baby could be etc etc. I can't even hear about abortions on TV because I just break down and cry. It dos change you completely.

The choice is yours and YOURS only. Its hard and it hurts for a lifetime.
    Augusta

Answer by Augusta at 12:11 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• You are doing the right thing. It's her body, her choice, and you are supporting her. Good for you. Everyone should be more like you.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 12:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I don't think you're wrong in not being mean like her family. Her mother went way over the line saying what she did. It is a personal choice and hard enough without everyone who is supposed to love and support you no matter what giving their hurtful 2 cents.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:15 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• **and will continue to need afterward. good luck. =)
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 12:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• The choice is ultimately hers; we are not here to judge. I personally had one, and for as tough as some say it is/was, it was the best decision for me. I think you are a great friend for helping her in what she needs at this time in her life.
    Anonymous

• She's an adult and can make the decision for her own body... She will need someone in her corner and your not wrong to be there for her.... That family is not much of a family if they are going to say those things to her & to say that to her 2 year old is just wrong!

monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• You are doing a wonderful thing by taking her and being the one on her side. Even if it is not what you would do, she needs the support from someone who won't judge her. I had an abortion a month ago, because of many reasons I felt like I couldn't have another baby. If I did not have a supportive person in my life who could go with me and be there for me before and after, I probably wouldn't have gone through with it, and I know I would have regretted it if I didn't do it.
    Just be there for her to support the choice she has already made, and don't let the family bother you if they judge YOU for being there for someone else. She's doing a very brave thing, and it's not easy.
    Anonymous

• im pro choice as well but if she new he was trying to get her pregnant she should have found other methods of birth controll
    kai302

Answer by kai302 at 12:22 PM on Feb. 23, 2011