Thinking of going SOLAR ? Does it work ?

Anyone use Solar Panels to either supplement your utility bills or as your only source of electricity?

I'm considering going solar, but wanted a little feedback first?

MaryJacobs

Asked by MaryJacobs at 12:16 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

• It works, so long as you don't mind your house looking like a space ship covered in all those panels.
    Anonymous

• i live in las vegas - we get sun 500 days out of the year! next year's tax return is going towards making our house look like a spaceship! no more $5,000+ power bills! yay!
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 12:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• The house I grew up in had solar panels on the roof to supplement our hot water heater, but there were 7 of us - there just wasn't enough sun for the panels to run it all by theirselves! I know my parents saw some savings, but not a whole lot especially when you factor in the original amount paid for the panels (they didn't put them on, the original homeowners did).

Answer by missanc at 12:21 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I work for a major home improvment store and we sell solar. here is what I know. if your billis is over $100 as month then you might be a canidate for solar. if it is less then save your money. In my area there is a commercial for solar city I would look them up and see what they say. They will tell you up frount if you should even get solar.
    Keep in mind that you will not be paid back for solar energy used it just rolls over to when there is not enough sun to use your solar.
    MominCa

Answer by MominCa at 12:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Some friends have and they love it!
    monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 12:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• i think Solar heating works best when you consider home improvement updates that include both passive and active solar heating, as well as including updates to how your house is insulated against heat or cold.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 11:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Thanks for all the info ladies ... much appreciated ! :-)
    MaryJacobs

Comment by MaryJacobs (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Feb. 24, 2011