6 month old constipated

My baby is very uncomfortable when going number 2, and the stools are thicker to hard consistency.

I think prune juice or karo syrup is supposed to help? How much should I give a 6 month old? Does one work better than the other?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try a little diluted prune juice sweetened. Used to work for our son!
    gutterflower585

Answer by gutterflower585 at 12:22 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Like 1 0z prune juice with same amount of water.
    gutterflower585

Answer by gutterflower585 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• both work but i would call doc and see what they reccomend. my daughter had the same problem she actually was backed up bad. they had to change her formula and when she was able to drink milk she had to be on soy milk til she was about a year and a half to two years. now she is fine and drinks whole milk regularly with no problem. if this is an on going problem please have her checked and xrayed cuz it is very uncomfortable for them. good luck mom
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• 1 oz of diluted prune juice or i teaspoon or caro syrup in the formula/breast milk will do the trick!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 12:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I've always used probiotics when my son is constipated. You can get them at any whole food store, they have a powder that you can mix with bottles. Its just good bacteria that clears out all the bad bacteria in your gut. You can give a small amount in a bottle everyday to help keep baby regular or just use it when necessary.
    lovelyheaven271

Answer by lovelyheaven271 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I just used juicey juice apple or white grape (she did not like the dark juices) and it was half juice and half water. My doc told me it was ok to give her some and WIC recommend it and she was constinpated all the time but I later found out she has an intolerance to anything with rice. She was on a formula with rice starch in it.
    singlemamma0322

Answer by singlemamma0322 at 12:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• No Karo. It's a botulism risk like honey.

Make sure baby's liquid meals come before solids; breastmilk or formula first, full feeding,. then solids as dessert. Constipation is often the result of too many solids.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• drs. actually reccomend karo
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Drs may recommend Karo but unfortunately some doctors do not keep up with new studies.  That is why, as parents, it is our responsibility to always read and research what the doctor has recommended because they are not always right.   New studies, as well as Karo, state it is NEVER worth the risk to use Karo for constipation in infants due to botulism being such a horrible disease for an infant to obtain. Botulism can be deadly in infants. Death is never something I would risk when there are so many other, better choices available for constipation.

Have you tried massage? Is baby receiving enough liquid (breastmilk / formula) throughout the day? Remember to always feed solids after breastmilk/formula is offered. Have you tried a bit of juice mixed with water?

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 1:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Karo is not recommended for infants, it can carry botulism spores. If it's not dry, hard, or pellet like, it's not true constipation. Has anything changed in baby's diet recently? What IS baby's diet?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2011