Sneaking animals into hotel rooms? Have you considered the consequences?

This is in regard to another question that was asked if anyone had done this, like it's a little prank that hurts no one. Well, just FYI it can cause life-threatening complications for someone who has allergies, as it did for my sister when we checked into a hotel that did not allow animals. She had to be rushed to the emergency room, and she could have lost her life, all because someone didn't think it was a big deal to sneak their animal in. Have you considered that this could happen?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 12:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Health

• I agree with you and it is so simple to google and fine motels that allow animals. What are they thinking when they do that? This can cover other allergies as well. I run across people who smoke in non-smoking motels. Same thing (to me). I'm allergic to smoke and have to go to the ER when people think they can get away with that.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I'm so sorry that happened to your sister! I think its very inconsiderate. We travel with our pets but only to pet-friendly venues. Allergies can be a big deal and I'm sorry but as much as i love my dogs, its not worth harming another person just to save some money on boarding-or however much a part of the family thet are!
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 12:26 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Many hotels now charge you extra if they go into the room to clean and find out a pet has been there. Same with cigarettes. If you're not around animals or cigarettes you can smell them as soon as you come in. They then have to pay extra to have those rooms specially cleaned so that others with allergies don't come to any harm.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I would NEVER do anything like that. If you bother to do some research beforehand, it's really not that hard finding a place that does accept animals. It's just plain rude and inconsiderate, as far as I'm concerned. And like you said, it could have bad consequences.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:25 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I have nothing nice to say so I will bid you good day.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• actually it is very easy to find a hotel that is pet friendly we just went away a few weeks ago and took our doberman it was 15 dollars extra too keep him there too. so its also very reasonable.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I have never done that. I have cats, and the rare times when I do travel and stay in hotels my cats stay home and I arrange for a friend/family member to check in on my cats every day.
    I do think it is rude and inconsiderate to 'sneak' pets into hotels, and also assume it is ok to take them to other people's houses-- without asking first! (I have family that think where I go my dog goes, and they bring their damned stinky dog with whether it is allowed or not...).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• agreed. i'm allergic to dogs but my reaction is not life-threatening. however, my husband is allergic to cats and go into a catastrophic asthma attack under the right circumstances. people should realize that when a sign says "no pets allowed," it's there for a reason.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 12:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I had not thought about it like that, scary for someone with allergies, but I wouldn't do that anyway. Many places I've stayed have a sign when you check in that says either animals stay free or if a guest is found with an animal they are evicted with no refund.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• This has come up before, and I said the same thing. My youngest son is horribly allergic to cats. If he touches one, his palms blister. It's that bad. Breathing the air in a room with cats is a nightmare for him that's already caused a trip to the ER.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:37 PM on Feb. 23, 2011