Knitters: Double Pointed Needles!

I just learned how to use them this morning, to try some mittens again that I started and gave up on last year. So far, so good. But they're a little awkward and I can't knit as fast as I normally would. Will they always be this awkward, or will I get faster?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 12:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• It will get easier....... it just takes practise.

I knit a lot of toys, so lots and lots of dpn's. I just tend to completely ignore the ones i'm not working on.

If you are more comfortable with circular needles, try the magic loop method. This uses one giant circular needle instead of dpn's.

http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/daily/archive/2009/09/16/the-magical-magic-loop.aspx

Might be worth a look, and no, you won't be as fast, but as you get used to them you will speed up :)
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 7:27 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I never earned to knit for just that reason, I didn't like 2 needles. I make afghans and use one. If you keep at it I'm sure it will get easier and faster for you.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 4:58 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• So you crochet...
    I'm talking about using five needles. :)
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I agree, you will get faster with practice.

Thanks Piskie for the link to the 'magic loop'. I had heard of it somewhere, but didn't know how it's done. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 12:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• It'll get easier. Also using bamboo makes it much easier. The yarn rarely slides off. I knit small projects on 2 6" double points all the time and never worry about stuff sliding off the non-working end. I found the metal needles much harder to work with (and that's what I started with).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:14 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• I'm doing much better with it. I just have to keep the other needles like... behind my hands while i'm working with the others. I'm loving it.
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• YOU need to practice and practice, see you tube tecniques see another person do it and advance to pro
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 12:15 PM on Feb. 28, 2011