Bad English

Am I the only one bothered by bad grammar? I don't mean accidental typos or occasional misspellings, but using words that don't go together and just sounding downright unintelligent. Things like "he don't" instead of "he doesn't" or "I seen" instead of "I saw". Now I don't think I'm better than anyone, or that I'm the world's most intelligent human being, nor do I believe speaking like you're the freaking Queen of England but come on, why not use the correct terms?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Just for Fun

• You need to understand that some people lack the education, they are not doing it to annoy anyone, it is all they know.

Answer by older at 12:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• you are not the only one bothered. i generally will withhold a helpful answer if the person asking a question doesn't give me the courtesy of asking with coherency.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 12:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• i agree with you & older. i can see both sides of the fence.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It doesnt annoy me what does annoy me are the questions where someone doesnt bother to spell the words out or uses alot of slang.

Answer by gemgem at 12:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I'm with you, it irritates the hell out of me. Especially because English isn't even my first language, and if I can do it, why can't everybody else? Doesn't really give me a whole lot of confidence in the educational system over here...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I personally would never speak using bad english. I feel that we are to be a role model to our children and those other children around us. However, I try not to be judgmental and just accept people as they are. Some people have not had the same education level or an appropriate role model themselves.

I must laugh though, my son, who is 13, came home saying "pert near" which I had never heard before and he thought it was just too cool. I threatened him with writing 1000 sentences that would say...

I must always use proper english and respect my family enough to never ever say "pert near" again. LOL He quit saying it upon that threat
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 12:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• In public speaking they call this spot lighting. I have no bones as long as they get the message across. Maybe not as eloquent as much speakers but if I understood its all good.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:05 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• sorry meant to say as many.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It seriously makes me angry. I don't have a high education. I barely graduated high school, but I have learned that in order to communicate and have people take you seriously you have to use decent grammar. I can't stand it when I see posts by people that don't use capitalization, commas, or periods- they might as well skipspacesalltogetherandjusthaveonebigmessofletters- because that's how coherent they seem to me. I hate seeing people that just type with the caps lock on and not even try- as if they know some words need to be capitalized but aren't sure which ones so why should they bother guessing?

But then- it doesn't take proper grammar to get ahead in life. I make less than half of what the next paid salary in my office is- and I am the one to proofread his documents! So why should I even care?
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 1:11 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I'm on here to let my hair down.Not to be ridiculed over something as how some Mom wrote something or misspelled a word.I read between the lines of Mothers who are hurting or just needing advice or want to go somewhere like here on Cafemom to get away from ppl like you.C'mon are you Ladies serious? Sounds like nick pickers to me.Now how was my english?;)Relax,Let women be theirselfs,who cares.This is not school for Cafemoms!or is it???lolllb/c I'm in the wrong place if so.Have a great day:)))))
    karencrouch

Answer by karencrouch at 1:12 PM on Feb. 23, 2011