Potty training a boy....

Will be my first time soon.... any tips pls?

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 12:50 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Aiming at stuff is a really good idea! I've basically been trying to get my son to recognize when he needs to go...if he has pull-ups or a diaper on, he's pretty lazy and will just go in there, lol. So at home I let him run around naked and he'll use the potty. Out in public, though, I'm totally lost.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 12:58 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I went to straight underpants and that seemed to help my son with our last attempt/ .. I tried at 18 months, 2 year and 2-1/2 years and each time he had interest but you could tell wasn't "getting it" - 80% of boys who have something to "aim" at it will do better so keep that in mind.. plus its funner for them - when I stopped putting something in the toilet, you could tell my son was almost bored while peeing so he'd look around and stop focusing on what he was doing, which almost meant peeing everywhere.. wait for all the signs of readiness to be there before you really give it a go or it can just be long and frustrating for all.. Good luck =
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I potty trained my 1st by 22mths. I set him on the potty when i saw he was going number 2 diaper & all to get him used to the toilet seat. when he did his thing i would dump it in the potty & have him flush & say bye bye. after a couple of times i started taking the diaper off. Poopy training was easy, pee pee training nt so much, i was a stay at home mom at the time, so i just let him run around nude on the bottom, everytime he started peeing i made him stop and ran him to the bathroom, and sat him down. he doesnt have to start peeing in the potty standing up, eventually once he gets everything down you can teach him the standing method. My eldest is 3 now and has it all down pact, the standing method, night time potty. Earlier potty training has been proven to lower the risk of urinary tract infections. But for every parent & child it can be different so as long as you do what is best for you & your son your doing it right
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 1:06 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I never used the training pants..They need to know when they are wet..The training pants will make little ones lazy. They don't want to take the time to potty, they just use the pants..Give them plenty of praise and just relax..I also started my boys by letting them go potty with daddy..though I would want them to sit down first. My boys were all very easy..daughter a little harded but not much..Good luck.
    motherganey5

Answer by motherganey5 at 1:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I guess I was lucky I didn't have to train my boys. The oldest just got up one morning when he was 21 months old and said he wanted to use the big boy potty. He got the stool set it in front of the toilet and did his thing. He never wet his pants again. I used the training paints for about 2 months with no accidents so we went to underwear. My youngest went to stay with my mom for 2 weeks at 22 months and came home trained. Never used anything but underwear.
    morningstar1972

Answer by morningstar1972 at 1:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2011