Three Hour Glucose Test.

Has anyone had to have the THREE hour glucose test because their first glucose test came back too high or abnormal?

I got the call from my doctor this morning telling me my blood sugar level was VERY high and that I need to do the three hour test, they said I have to do a three day diet plan first and then go in and get a bunch of blood work done.

Can anyone tell me their experience with this, and how they felt? I have really bad anxiety and sugar makes it worse, just trying to prepare.

Thank you :)

PrdWifeNMom07

Asked by PrdWifeNMom07 at 12:58 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had this happen, but I only had to fast that morning and during the 3 hours of the testing.. its only 3 different blood drawings -one after each hour.. I ended up getting Gestational Diabetes and it sounds like you could also - they walk you through this and some can be controlled through diet - then pills and then insulin, all of which I had to do but just go through the testing and ask all the questions you need. This is nothing you could have prevented or done differently, its just the way your body handles your own insulin levels while pregnant..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:01 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• yes, i know for sure i had to go back for the 3 hour with my second child, unsure if i did for my first and definitely not for the second.

anyway, i felt fine and the same as i always do. it was just rrrreeeeeaaaalllllllyyyyy boring hanging around the doctors office for 3, extremely long hours. and i wanted to eat food (cause with this one you have to fast), sleep or just get the hell out of the office. on the waiting room tv all they play is cartoons for the kids (i went to a free clinic funded by the health dept. at the time) so of course that irritated me even more.

but oddly, this test came back fine. they told me i was "borderline" diabetic but i never had to do anything to prevent GD. just had to drink more water and watch my sugar intake.

hopefully youre 1 hour was wrong and the 3 hour will just prove that you do not have diabetes. those 1 hour tests come up with weird results all the time!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:02 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• *definitely not for the third.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I had it done. The three hour test is more accurate, and obviously gives your body more time to metabolize the glucose. My initial test was too high, but the three hour test came back negative. Nothing to be anxious about. It's actually a great diagnostic, because if something does turn up, they know exactly how to treat and monitor you. You'll be fine. Just bring plenty of stuff to read.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 1:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• i had to with my 1st one about 41/2 yrs ago. I think it was BS and the only reason i had to take it was cause it was me and my fiance at the time (now husband) but we didnt eat healthy at all i ate cereal every morning thats loaded with sugar.
    But for the 3 day diet i didnt have to do but after the test i had to go to a class and go on a "diet" which was basically watching your sugar intake.
    The test sucks just time consuming and the drink is not that tasty. You drink the drink which tastes like orange soda and they take your blood then after an hr take it again and then after another hr take it again.
    I did have to do the sugar tests at home after every meal but gave up on it after a month cause when i went back to the "teacher" of the class to show her the results which at the time sugar levels had to be below 20 i believe she told me they just changed it to below 16 thats when i was like whatever its BS.
    Good luck
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 1:06 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Thank you for all the information. I didn't have a problem with this during my first pregnancy, and I haven't had any symptoms or anything during this pregnancy, so i'm hoping this next test comes back normal. (: Thanks again for the info.
    PrdWifeNMom07

Comment by PrdWifeNMom07 (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I also went through this. I took my laptop to keep my mind busy...it helped!!! I also packed a luch for afterwards!! I'm glad I did!! All the sugar made me a little sick, but the food afterwards helped a ton!!! After the 3hr...I went home and took a 3hr nap!!!!

I actually ended up having gestational, but when doing my own testing my numbers where always perfect! And when my son was born his numbers where perfect and he was a big baby 9lbs 12oz's. The doctors said that was very uncommon due to his size. They expected his numbers to read a little high.

I'm now 6wks 2days prego, and I do not want to go through all that again!!! I hope things are dfferent this time!!! I ate fruit like crazy...I found out morning time is the worst time to eat it. Who knew =/ not me!!

Good luck!!
    RNC2005

Answer by RNC2005 at 1:10 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• wow where i lived u just do the 2 hour one now instead of the one hour and possibility of the 3 hour one
    djsmommy13

Answer by djsmommy13 at 1:11 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Yes. I failed the 1 hour test with both my first and second pregnancies. For my second, I had to get the 3 hour test. No special diet, though, just an 8 hour fast beforehand. I had to spend the entire 3 hours at the lab and they drew blood six times (a fasting sample and then every 30 min until time was up). I ended up passing the test.

Just an aside: I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic four years later. Which is probably why my numbers were screwed up in the first place.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:29 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• yeah did the 3 hours test, it's so boring and tired. You have to fast for 8 hours. The test usually in the morning, first thing is they will draw your blood and then give you this sugar water. Then they draw blood every hour for the next 3 hrs. Lucky there's another lady there that day and we were talking the whole time so the time goes by faster. Make sure you bring something to read or do or it'll be very boring. Hope you dont' have GD, it will make your last couple of months so much harder.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 23, 2011