How do you survive living in a tiny town in the boondocks?

Who decided it was a good idea to have no sidewalks?
Can't ride your bike too far without riding on the highway or watching out for cars constantly and putting your life in danger

no where to really go

can't walk too far and am tired of seeing the same things over and over, which is why I can't motivate myself.

I'm a city girl, but am stuck here for now. I'm not into county fairs and the local football teams and all that stuff they all like out here.

How do you guys get thru each day with a smile on your face when there's nothing to do or anywhere to go?

Edit: I have not learned to adapt after 10 years of living here and have officially gotten bored and run out of creative ways to make this place workable for me. Businesses keep shutting down, the kids have outgrown alot of the things we used to do and now I'm just "here". I know this isn't the place for us. It just isn't something I'll ever get used to. When the job market opens up a bit, we will move, but for now we're just stuck here.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Home & Garden

• there is plenty to do.
    you'll have to adapt a little bit. and learn to love animals and fairs and kids and social outings. BBQ's and chili contests.
    take your dog for a walk, get to know your neighbors, and get to know the store owners and employees in town and you will soon be busy. get your kids involved in youth sports and you'll meet some moms and other new friends. GL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• i LOVE living in places like that. i personally am not fond of the city. i think it's too busy and i couldn't care less about shopping all day.

i actually have the same issues you're having. except in the city, so i have sidewalks. i'm tired of seeing all these buildings and car accidents and cars honking in traffic.

but if i were back at my old home and didn't feel like going out, i'd find something to do around the house. outside/inside. or whatever. i like to make things and work out a lot. idk what you're in to. but i'd work on making my yard a place to have fun. bbqs, gardening, a tree house. idk. make it exciting for yourself. i'm sorry you're not having fun.. i know it can suck not being where you want and dealing with the same old stuff everyday.
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 1:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I think in small towns where there is no theater to attend on Friday night and no gala balls on Saturday, it's really all about the friends you have to spend time with. So gather up your friends, or make some new ones, and start something up. Book clubs are good, or a ladies card club. Do a progressive dinner where you get together several couples and have appetizers at one home, salad at another, then main course, and dessert at the last house. Or plan a themed dinner and a movie night where you cook Italian and watch the Godfather or something along those lines. Have one of those parties where everyone brings clothes and purses they don't use and swaps them with the other ladies unused stuff. The boonies can be a bit repetitive so you really have to make your own fun. And of course, you can always plan a day trip to the nearest bigger town to do some fun things you can't get at home.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:43 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I hate big cities. Give me small town living!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:45 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• there is plenty to do out in the "boonies" that's where i live...when it's warm enough we'll go for walks or make mud pies...i'm not into the football games either, never really have been.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:12 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I play with the kid, but we have a nice neighborhood in the middle of the boondocks... so hang out with neighbors... etc. you will adapt.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2011