Apartment neighbors & heat

We keep our apartment relavitely cool - we don't even usually turn the heat on unless it's really chilly. At least... that's how my roommate likes it. I get colder a lot easier, but I'm fine with a sweater on, or a blanket to curl up in on the couch. The point is... it's never hot in here.
However, my roommate's room gets VERY hot. We usually watch movies in there together, and we do spend a fair amount of time in there sometimes. The door is never closed, so it shouldn't keep any heat in. I was gathering together some laundry to do, and realized that it seems like the heat is coming from the corner/edge of the room where the closet is. That's where his dirty clothes are (in the closet), and when I pulled out some clothes, they were quite warm. It's on the opposite end of the room from the heater, so that's not it.
So I'm curious - if our neighbors on that side keep their apartment very warm, could that be what's making my roommate's room so freaking warm? If it is, would it be considered rude to ask them to turn their heat down during the day?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 1:11 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Yes, the heat could be coming from the neighbor's if you share a wall & their heat is on that wall. You should speak to your landlord about it to make sure there isn't a leak somewhere in the heating system or maybe there needs to be some extra insulation installed in that wall.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:21 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• That's a tough one. i can understand the frustration, though and I hope you're able to figure something out. My neighbors are always causing problems for me.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 1:12 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Switch room?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:00 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• If the clothes were that warm to the touch then there has to be something in that area of the wall/floor giving off that much heat. Could there be a hot water pipe? Does that room or closet connect to your bathroom or kitchen? I would be worried if there was something putting off that much heat.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I would ask the Landlord about it, since it could be a sign of something wrong....However, beyond that, I think it's rude to expect them to turn their heat down for your convenience.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:27 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

• Move house ?
    lillyblue111

Answer by lillyblue111 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2011