I am getting ready to give my baby cereal for the first time. I am confused on how exactly you introduce it. Do I feed him cereal and then breastfeed or vice versa? Also, how many times per day do I feed him cereal? At night, he nurse to sleep so I am really confused how to give him cereal at night. Thanks!!

SuzannaJ

Asked by SuzannaJ at 2:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby is four months old and I just started giving him cereal. I too was nursing him to sleep every night. but in my quest to make him more independent I have begun giving him a bottle of breast milk and cereal before bed... and he does great with it. I give him one other bottle made the same way right before his nap ... and he usually sleeps for longer. ( I pump after he is asleep so that he will have more for the next day/ night. ... I make it kind of thick and cut the nipple a little bit bigger he loves it. good luck!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 2:39 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Start with once a day. Remember, it's just for practice at this stage. You should always nurse him first and then let him try out the cereal. Once he's used to eating it's much better to move on to real foods. Cereal is mostly empty calories.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 2:47 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Breastfeed first so that he is not starving and then try some rice cearal mixed with your braestmilk. Don't be surprised if he makes a face and spits it out!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 3:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My guy gets one tablespoon of cereal in two ounces of breastmilk once a day (for now), then gets a bottle of regular breastmilk. :) My doc told me to give him a little cereal before each feeding, but that doesn't always go well when he needs to eat from Mommy afterwards, so we're starting slower.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Cereal right now should only be to "try out" the solids thing and not a replacement for any breastfed meal. Try breastfeeding him first, then mix up about a tablespoon of cereal with breastmilk. Make it pretty runny or baby will gag. Make sure you have a bib on him! LOL It's pretty messy business.

Also, check out www.kellymom.com for articles about starting solids. There is a tab on the left of the homepage called "Starting Solids" (in purple). There is a wealth of info about this on this page.
    Anonymous

• I read somewhere to offer solids an hour after you breast/formula feed since that is the main source of nutrition. If you wait an hour, they wont be totally full but they wont be eating so much that they do not get enough milk.
    AliMom714

Answer by AliMom714 at 3:30 PM on Nov. 19, 2008