Why?

I am not sure where I stand religiously. I do have a question about God, to help me understand. Why does God allow for children and babies to suffer, be abused, or allow bad things to happen to them? Is there a good reason for it? I just read about a baby that was beaten and abused all of her life and raped repeatedly by the dad, uncle and mother then thrown into the ceiling to watch her fall to the floor. She passed away. Why would God let that happen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I really dont know why but I asked my aunt this question too. I like her view. She says she believes that all souls come to this earth with a purpose. When a child dies that is their soul purpose and she believes God doesnt allow them to suffer but takes them before they actually die or feel pain. BTW I asked this because my dhs son died as a premie and when she said that it made sense to us. Now my dh is really a great father and appreciates his children more then ever. I think that the loss of his son made that possible in some ways?
    Anonymous

• There is a book written by a rabbi titled "Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People." Its a great book. Basically it comes down to bad things happening because well, bad things happen. We have free will and unfortunately that means that God can't step in and prevent the bad stuff. Its hard to explain in detail here, but I recommend you look into that book. It might help you figure it out for yourself.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• once god has given children their life he has no power to take over someone's free will to decide what they would do to their children. he (god) will not give anyone something that they can't handle and sometimes these poor children suffer for a purpose. i know it's something that is hard to understand but the lord will explain it to you one day. i believe that up in heaven the lord told each and everyone of us whose home we are being born into and what we will expect in that life. some of us choose to come down to these awful homes for their purpose to fulfill. even knowing that their life will be short. it still sucks and sickens me that people opt to hurt and abuse children. i avoid the news cause of it.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• We live in a fallen world who's ruler is also the ruler of Darkness so many like to say that God allows bad things to happen when really it is the nature of the evil roaming the earth. God gave us a direct life line to His throne through His son Jesus giving us back the authority taken in the Garden. We have to learn how to walk in that authority and the Will of God this is where free will comes in and the POWER of prayer knowing how to speak Gods Word over situations we are faced with God cannot step in unless we keep covenant with Him. We have to learn our Kingdom Authority to speak to mountains and watch them move.

TalithaStarry

Answer by TalithaStarry at 2:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• A god who cared one tiny bit about us would not let such things happen. My christian family members can rationalize all day about bad events, but I believe there is no such god. Bad things happen because they happen. The best we can do is help those less fortunate than ourselves, and raise our kids to be part of the solution, rather than part of the problem.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 3:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• shruggingI beleive in GOd, but it was challenged, let me tell you, when our baby was stillborn. All I could think of was why all these evil people in the world who hurt people and they live until they are 100 but all these babies and innocent children die every day... I makes no sense...

babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 3:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• PP...that's why they call it faith. we have to believe that there's a reason for everything...but it's not up to us to know what that reason is.  I was not a believer for a long time...and now am. It's a comfort to know that once I've done all that I am capable of doing that I can lay it in His hands and trust that He knows what's best.

Anonymous

• My mother always says: We see the knots, God sees the tapestry. Free will is a bitch, because other's free will is inflicted upon us. It is incumbent on us to use our free will to make the world a better place. (and ironically, that will conflict with someone else).

Live your life the best you can, and fight for those that don't have a voice, and treat everyone as if they were you or your child.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 4:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I have been asking myself that since Nov.4th. Why my son, why now? He would have been 4 on the 17th. I just keep asking why.
    4boysmomrocks

Answer by 4boysmomrocks at 7:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Well...I agree with some of these posts. It is the nature of evil people on this earth and the free will we have. If you choose not to have God in your heart or choose to be a heartless murderer God can't interfere because he would go back on his promise.

Continued
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Nov. 20, 2008