Why do parents allow their kids to get FAT?....

I see fat parents and wonder why they impose their unhealthy lifestyle upon their kids.
Kinda like, gee we're fat and your going to be FAT too! Truly sad to see more and more fat
kids these days. Don't parents care about themselves and eat right or the God forbidden
word, "workout"? I think people should be charged by the pound, like a plane ticket! If you can't fit comfortably in a seat then they should buy another ticket! Get off the couch and into the gym!

NikkiVan1

Asked by NikkiVan1 at 1:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Generally speaking, being overweight is a choice and a result of poor self-discipline. YOU are in charge of what you eat. Nobody's forcing that soda into your hand.

Losing weight does not need to be expensive. You do not need a gym membership or pricey pilates sessions. Going outside is free. Walking and running outside are free. Yoga and push-ups are free. Walking up stairs or hills is free. A half hour per day is all it takes--people who say they don't have time to be active just aren't willing to make the time.

Eating healthy does not need to be expensive either. From my experience, processed foods and pre-packaged meals cost way more than base ingredients and produce. Cooking and baking is not difficult. I cook from scratch everyday and make my own bread. I save a lot of money this way, the food tastes better, plus I know exactly what's going into it.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 6:31 PM on Feb. 24, 2011

• OK, you'll probably bash me for this but, WHATEVER. I am overweight, I have been since I was 16 years old because when my mom left my dad and moved us to a new state me and my sisters went through an awful time we were very depressed. We ate junk and my mom didn't care enough to make sure we ate healthy. Now, at 27, I have 5 HEALTHY children that are of healthy weights and heights. They eat healthy and are very active. I walk them a 1/2 mile to school everyday so, that means I walk at least 2 miles a day. So, I am not lazy, I can't go to the gym because I don't have a vehicle or the time for it. I don't over eat and I am working on figuring out how much I need to cut out of my diet to start loosing weight. To another PP, yes when my children go to the mall ONCE A MONTH, I do get them Sonic and an ice cream cone. My kids are fine even with being raised by fat and lazy mother. Thanks though for the ASSumptions.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:43 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• OMG! I know a couple who are both severely overweight and so is there 1 year old son. I've seen them fill his sippy cup with Mountain Dew (yep) and let him drink the whole thing and it makes me cringe! How could you do that to your child?! A 1 year old doesn't even need to know what soda is much less drink a whole cup of it! And it wasn't one time. They let him have soda everyday! He's a beautiful, sweet little boy but it's inevitable that he's going to be obese because his parents have not even attempted to teach him healthy eating habits. I'm overweight but that doesn't stop me from carefully planning my son's meals and trying to set a good example by sitting down and eating fruits and veggies with him while he's eating and I sure as heck don't plan on letting him guzzle down soda anytime soon!
    courtloux_128

Answer by courtloux_128 at 1:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I am not victimizing myself. Your saying that people that are fat are lazy. That is not always the case. You need to worry about yourself and your children instead of everyone else's children. It has nothing to do with you. You need to entertain yourself somewhere else.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Who is pathetic? Your the one on CM bashing strangers calling people names because you have nothing better to do. I think your pathetic.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:21 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Wow, NikkiVan1, while I agree too many kids are overweight and have unhealthy eating habits, you really are way too much of a bitch about it. A lot of times, people have unhealthy eating habits out of ignorance, or because (like somebody else mentioned) they can't afford to buy/prepare healthy meals.

It's great that you can go to the gym, go running, whatever. But the fact is, a lot of people don't have the time or money to do so. Maybe you should put all that energy into EDUCATING people about making healthy choices, instead of being so obviously disgusted by fat people.... After all, they can lose the weight, but you appear kind of ugly on the inside.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:22 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Well there are lots of reasons why people can be overweight and not all of them have to do with being lazy. I actually struggled with gaining weight after I had my first 3 kids and would get alot of grief about that. Now that I have put on weight I am pretty happy with myself. None of my kids have been over weight, but I do have to say they all had chubby phases. I think that judging someone based on how they look just proved how shallow you are.
    Anonymous

• Lazy. Plain and simple.
    Healthy choices and lifestyles requires sacrifice, dedication, effort and time. And it takes so much less effort to give kids junk food.
    And i don't think most WANT their children to be fat, they just don't think about the long term effects on the child. They think for "today". Not 10 years down the line.
    But preparing fresh food, getting your kids out and exercising, and instilling healthy living habits just takes more energy than most are willing to put in.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 1:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It kind of happens gradually. I was always a skinny kid and my dh was a chubby kid. Our dd is now gaining weight. She is very active and likes to play outside everyday. She eats healthy. I watch what she eats but she seems to be taking after my husband's side of the family. I think genetics play a large part of this, not exactly just constant eating of junk food. Please be a bit more tolerant of others. all we can do is control our own behavior.
    Anonymous

• amen sister!!! you see it all the time, fat parents raising fat children. american worships food. people don't eat because they are hungry, they eat just to eat. and i don't understand how anyone could not want to exercise. it makes you feel so good and makes you feel like you can do anything
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 1:40 PM on Feb. 23, 2011