How do you go about networking?

I mean, what kind of conversation do you have with someone new you have met? Do you meet people in person or online? Just any info you have about "networking"

BrittanyD07

Asked by BrittanyD07 at 1:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

• I'm normally more into meeting people through other people but there are a few people that I am only friends with online. I've met some of them on Cafemom but its very rare that I meet up with people that I've met online.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 1:29 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• i talk to everyone i meet! if it's a product or myself (looking for job) i'm selling...i prepare myself with some tools to hand out and have a little script i have in mind. it's easy...just give someone a genuine compliment, and move right in. don't leave them with out something, a card, an email, a cell #....you can do it!! :o)
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 1:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I can start a conversation with about anyone. Its my nature. I used to do marketing and sales when my ex husband and I had a pest control company together back in the 90s. I did alot of cold calling I guess you could say and would just go to various businesses and offer the information about our company and could get into idle chit chat with the person about things that obviously interested them (if you look at the person and things around them you can pick up what they are into).
    As for friends or people in general, again, natural extrovert here. I dont have any problem meeting people in person or online. I dont really meet anyone from online anymore because 75% of the time I had a bad experience with that.

Answer by gemgem at 1:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Just talk - and don't leave anyone out! Get on facebook if you aren't already. My husband reconnected with a old highschool friend through facebook. She happens to work in human resources for an incredible local pharma company and he got his current job through her, which came with a 10K bump in pay and better benefits! When I was waiting tables I would talk to people about my education (I have 2 degrees) and experience - I had so many people hand me business cards telling me if I was ever looking for a full time job to contact them. In many cities there are also professional women's organizations that have lunches/dinners that are great for networking with other professionals.

Answer by missanc at 1:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Your network: everyone you know, everyone you come into contact with.

You can build your professional network through Linkedin, associations such as the local Chamber of Commerce and the National Association of Women Business Owners; lead sharing groups, even CafeMom.

I have a great article posted here: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837/forums/read/9318864/Networking_Tips_and_Successes

Answer by rkoloms at 1:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Okay, here's an example. I took a 3 hour class taught by a guy I'd never met before. He did a good job on the class. When lunch break hit, I encountered him at the food court. We talked for a few moments, and if I hadn't been in a huge hurry, I would have invited him to sit at my table. Instead, i let him know i was pressed for time, and it was nice chatting with him, glad I could see him again, we'd have to sit down for lunch some other time. Basic rapport established.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 11:29 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Do you mean professional/business networking or social networking? The two approaches are radically different.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:37 AM on Feb. 24, 2011