Government Supported Cell Phones

Please don't start the bashing. My husband and I have both been without cell phones for 6 months because we simply can not afford them. Now I've had our home phone turned off also (can't afford it). We have 2 kids and I worry about us being cut off from the world so to speak. I heard there's a government paid cell phone plan of like 30 minutes a month or something. Does anyone have any details?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Money & Work

• I think I have but it only allows for you to call 911. Try calling the sheriff dept or social services and see if that plan is available in your area.

Answer by gemgem at 2:41 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• i read something about that in my local welfare office i believe it is from at&t look it up on the internet. i dont' have any details on it though they also have something called lifeline for your home phone i believe that is through verizon
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• There was a post about these a few weeks ago. But it's only in certain states... Do a CM search for Free Cell Phone and see what all comes up...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:44 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• The best thing to do is get a pre-paid phone from Verizon. they are about $50 and if you have a verizon phone already you can get it hooked up for $15 and some Verizon stores are offering free connection during the holiday season. If it would help I could send you a old phone that someone has donated to the store. let me know if you need it.

robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 2:49 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• cut off your internet and get a prepay cell phone
    Anonymous

• I dont have internet either, I'm at the library doing research!

I found the link, it's called Safelink, it's connected through Tracfone.
    Anonymous

• Well I don't use my cell phone for much and I have AT&T prepaid plan. Both me and my DH do and it's $8 dollars each a month. I don't see cell phones as a need. Also if you have internet a lot of calls can be done online making it more affordble. I've seen the magic jack advertised. And yahoo has phone accounts as well.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 5:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• SafeLinkWireless.com Thats the free cellphone for lower income families. I have one for emergencies or if Ilose my phone I wont be with out a phone.
    Lisse_2006

Answer by Lisse_2006 at 7:12 AM on May. 19, 2009