How do i get my kids to listen to me without yelling all the time???

lovemy2boys28

Asked by lovemy2boys28 at 1:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• HA! I need to know these answers because Ive tried everything anyone had told me and nothing has ever worked. I guess it all matters how much you can take before you get irritated and yell.
    MelissaAnn224

Answer by MelissaAnn224 at 1:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Oh there are lots of ways. I'll give you a few suggestions. Give them choices. Say you want them to clean their room. Then give them choices: "Would you like to have your room cleaned by 10:00 a.m. Saturday, or do you need an extra hour?" Then, when they picked the later time, just say very nicely, "Feel free to keep the things you pick up. I'll be back at 11."

Then make sure you are back at exactly 11:00 a.m. then take any toys that they didn't pick up and you can decide when they can have them back. Alot of it is about giving them choices, makes them feel a little in control.

Check out loveandlogic.com. Its an amazing way to parent. A lot less yelling and less stressful.
    Things will started to improve when they realized that you will actually follow through on your limits.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 1:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I find that using a soft voice works sometimes. Getting down on their level and looking them in the eye is a pretty big attention getter as well. Or you can make a game out of it.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:02 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• how old are they?

my dd is two & i'm currently just now mastering "the LOOK". where i look at her sternly & she stops what she knows she shouldn't be doing. it's awesome. i wanted to make sure i got it down early. haha!

otherwise i stick her face in the corner. it depends on the situation, really. if she wants something, but can't have it i tell her "no" & ignore her if she throws a fit.

if she's not doing what i tell her, i calmly make her do it. & if she's still throwing a fit afterward. face in the corner.

if she's in danger i yell. just so she knows when i'm yelling at her things are serious.

if your kids are older-well i'm not there yet. so idk how well this will work. but when i was a kid serious, face to face, sit down conversations with my parents were terrifying. so maybe if you can find a way to get 'em to sit down&calmly/sternly explain to them what you need done&make sure they understand. idk good luck. =)
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 2:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I stopped yelling . i still get angry when she doesn't mind but I will not yell. Yelling I have learned hurts me not her. she shrugs when I yell and acts scared but miss behaves again. I have told her I can stop yelling she needs to work on being good or she is not going to get to do something she enjoys.
    princesschilly

Answer by princesschilly at 2:06 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Providing choices sometimes is a good way (I do this with my kids - of course it depends on the age)
    Talking in a low voice, at their level and looking them in the eye works.
    I don't yell and haven't for a while, there is no need, they have the choice to do or not do something, they can negotiate things with me to help make our lives easier or they can chose to simply ignore what I've asked or said face the consequence of not being allowed to do whatever it is that they want most.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Try whispering instead. They have to stop and listen when you do that.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I took a love and logic class and I absolutely loved it. You should look into it!
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2011