How do you encourage your adult child to be a better parent?

micmin107

Asked by micmin107 at 1:59 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• In what regard? If they are neglecting your grandkiddo, that is totally different in raisig them in way you don't care for!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:05 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Well yes of course. My dd was a teen mom and so she needed alot of help and guidance about just the day to day things. You know what kind of baby rash medicine do I use? Should I use baby powder? Do I breast feed? Stuff all young moms want help with. I taught her how to burp the baby in an effective way. Change their diapers. Clothe them. And as they have gotten older I have helped her enroll them in after school sports, pre school, and told her things like no they shouldnt have soda in a tippy cup, or hey maybe giving them candy just before nap time is a bad idea.
    Id like to think I have helped her be the wonderful mom she is today.

Answer by gemgem at 2:08 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I get frustrated because he calls himself a "part time" dad. I hate that phrase. I feel that even if you can't be with your child, you are a full time parent. He has custody of his son EO weekend. His inconsistency and criticism of step dad gets to me. Step dad takes good care of my grandson, so he has my respect. I just wish my son would appreciate what a wonderful gift fatherhood is.
    micmin107

Comment by micmin107 (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Well thats a hard one. My son who will be 19 in May has a son also and isnt involved as much as Id like with my grandson (his son). He just thinks its all fun and games I think. My dd on the other hand is a hands on parent and does so much for her kids. All you can do is show them, but you know that say you can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink. With adult kids, thats how I see things.

Answer by gemgem at 3:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• That's a tough one. Maybe he is hurt that he and the mom aren't together? He won't come out and say that. He is different than women are. They take it hard when rejected or left out and are not able to say it. Just say, I know you can't be with your child all the time but everday and night you're their daddy. Be patient with him. His feelings are deeper than they appear.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 3:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Call up stepdad, explain the situation and arrange for your son to take care of his own kid by himself a few months...maybe he'll sing a different tune.
    purplerobin

Answer by purplerobin at 1:07 PM on Feb. 26, 2011

• live by example while with your grandchildren and try to keep criticism from sounding like criticism. Rephrase suggestions instead of being blunt, like me.
    kbutts

Answer by kbutts at 2:14 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• My mom always tells me things that my kids like doing or ways to encourage my kids. Me and my mom are close so its easy for her to tell me things like that. Just be as positive and loving as you can.
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 9:44 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Praise them when you see them doing something right. Tell them how much their children are benefiting from the good things they do. Take the spotlight off the issues you are not happy with and focus on the good.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 3:04 PM on Mar. 28, 2011