When is it more than just being emotional and sad, and more like actual depression symptoms?

My 5 year old has always been emotional. She gets upset easily. She'll cry and when I ask her why she is crying and she'll say something like, "I miss my nanny" (she moved months ago - I understand that... but the statement will come out of the blue when her nanny isn't even part of the current conversation) or "I don't know".

The crying typically doens't last long but she doesn't seem as super smiley as she used to be and it makes me sad. :(

I fight with my own depression daily but do everything in my power not to show it to my kids and to stay positive, happy and smiling with them. I know they HAVE seen it though and have heard me make comments (I wasn't thinking) about myself ("I'm so fat", etc).

I have explained to them how I am working hard to become more healthy right now and they are happy about these decisions and are as supportive as can be for their age. :)

But as far as my 5 year olds actions and moods go, how do you know when it is something that needs ot be addressed or if it is just being emotional?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 2:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe it would be good to have her see a counselor just so she has someone else to talk to, someone who can give you a little more perspective. I don't think it would do any harm-it could actually do her a lot of good to have someone help her figure out how to express herself and deal with her emotions. She seems like she knows how to figure out WHY she feels that way, so maybe she needs some help figuring out how to move on from the sadness? JMO. Good for you for trying to get healthy and well and in the right state of mind!
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 2:22 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• She might just have a lot of emotions and doesn't know how to control them. I had times like that when I was a kid, where I would miss some random person that I hadn't seen in ages and who I wouldn't normally think of.
    Granted, I'm extremely depressed now and I don't know how to cope with that either. What she's doing could very well be the start of something, or it might just be a phase she is going through. You could talk to her doctor about it, but it might be nothing to worry too much about right now.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 2:26 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Thanks. :) I will check into that. I had thought about it but wasn't sure if it would be kind of traumatic in a way.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I would chalk it up to a phase but it's been going on for a while now and concerning me. I actually asked on here about an incident she had where she was crying almost daily a few months back and everyone said "it's a phase"... but it doesn't seem to be going away. :(
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 2:31 PM on Feb. 23, 2011