Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Adoption Question

My dh is wanting to adopt my dd. Her biological father has been out of the picture since June. I don't have an adress or a working phone numberb for him. I have no idea where he is or anything. My question is has anyone else gone through this situation? Is this a hard process? My dd wants my dh to adopt her. She is happy about the idea. I just was wondering what I'm in for.

Answer Question

Asked by kellar2 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Adoption

Level 4 (54 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Every State has their own laws on the issue. If you can't find him there is a defined process ads in papers etc. If you do find him and he refuses to relenquish his parental rights you will have to prove he is unfit or the child is in danger around him. Otherwise, they won't take his rights. Go to your states website and see what info you can find under adoptions.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:26 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

  • Speak with an attorney in your area - due diligence must be given to locate him as defined by your local laws. Here, it's a matter of posting in the newspaper for 3 weeks - then the judge can terminate rights - but it's different everywhere. I'd say contact your attorney and see what you're facing :)

    Good luck

    Answer by AAAMama at 11:13 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

  • Every state is different, but it's usually a long process. Better to get started on it now. Talk to an attorney. Consultation is usually free.

    Answer by SweetLuci at 3:07 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

  • First step you need to take is an attorney as others have said.


    Answer by 2ndtimewish at 9:41 PM on Feb. 25, 2011

  • talk to an attorney and they can let you know what you need to do.

    Answer by HomeAlone45 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • It really depends on how lucky you are, not only with the state you live in, but with the judge who hears your case.

    This will probably cost some money, but your best bet is to contact a family law attorney!

    Answer by DDDaysh at 5:27 PM on May. 9, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.