What is the DHA in the prenatals for?

My Dr. prescribed me a vitamin that had DHA but I have been using the same over the counter that I used with my daughter. Should I be taking the DHA?

saysmom

Asked by saysmom at 2:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is an omega-3 fatty acid. It is found in cold water fatty fish and fish oil supplements, along with eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). Vegetarian sources of DHA come from seaweed. DHA is essential for the proper functioning of our brains as adults, and for the development of our nervous system and visual abilities during the first 6 months of life. In addition, omega-3 fatty acids are part of a healthy diet that helps lower risk of heart disease. Our bodies naturally produce small amounts of DHA, but we must get the amounts we need from our diet or supplements. Most people in the Western world do not get enough omega-3 fatty acids in their diet
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:39 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It helps in pregnancy your baby's eye nd brain evelopment. They've done some studies on it and babies that were given DHA had higher IQ's. They put it in baby formula now and want breastfeeding mamas to continue taking the supplement. It's in a lot of organic milk now an baby yogurts. Its a good thing. My children drink it in their milk and it's made a difference.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:59 PM on Feb. 23, 2011