Taking homeschooling to the extreme ?

That was said about a local woman -- she recently won ALOT of money in our state lottery .... of course she did the normal things like building a new house, new cars, and giving money to family and friends but she did something out of the ordinary too - she had a schoolhouse built .

She bought alot of land ( I dont remember how much it said but I think it was around 100 acres) ... and on the land she built what looks like an old fashioned school house ( in the picture I think it actually looks like an old barn) , but inside it is made up of two "teaching rooms", a restroom, and a small lunchroom. It even has a playground, a chalkboard, colorful desks and a computer for each kid.

The woman has 2 kids and right now it says her oldest is 6 or 7 ( cant remember) and her youngest is only like 3 or so ( so not in school yet) , the mother also has 2 close friends who has children who will be attending the "school" . She said the second room is for when the younger kids start attending, they can learn in one room and the younger ones can be in the other without disturbing each other.

The mother hired a teacher that use to work for a public school to teach the children ( it also says that the mother didnt graduate from high school, so i guess maybe she doesnt feel like she could teach them herself? ) and that they go on large fieldtrips every other month and mini field trips every other week.

Some people are actually making this a controversy - like why would someone be mad that this woman is doing so well with homeschooling ? It really isnt even like regular homeschool - they arent in the home and they have a real teacher teaching them...If I had that much money I would definatly love to take my kids out of public school and do something like this , but there are actually people saying why homeschool them if you are just sending them to another school ? That is stupid - what she is doing is nothing like public school !

What is your opinion ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• If she had that much money, and didn't like her options in public school, she had more than enough money to send them to a good private school.
    Anonymous

• People will always complain about what others are doing-I'm guilty of it myself, mostly because i'm jealous lol. I would probably hire private tutors for my son. I don't know if I'd have a schoolhouse built for them, but I'd probably travel the world and have tutors. I say let her do her thing as long as they're getting a well-rounded education! I hope she plans to send them to college with some of that money.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 2:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I have no problem with the woman doing something like this, I actually think it's kind of cool. The only big worry I have about homeschooling in general is kids not getting the kind of social interaction with other kids their age they need. In this particular case, I don't know if one "mini-outing" every other week is enough...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I think that sounds so cool...kids can take online courses maybe and have more attention. How lucky! My only concern would be if they get enough social interaction to not get sheltered from "the real world".
    sabianmom

Answer by sabianmom at 2:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Just make sure that the school is certified or whatever paperwork it needs to be a real legal school.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I forgot to add that they said that the kids are all involved with other activites as well ( dance was one of them but I cant remember what else it said they do )

Also to the first poster - a major reason alot of people homeschool for is safety , that could still be a worry for a private school ...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I also wanted to add I am pretty sure this woman wasnt intending on this being a real school -- I mean it is technically in her yard and just for her kids and her friends / family kids
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• my opinion is that the general public's ignorance of homeschooling is VAST.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Doesn't sound like home schooling but more of her own little private school-but really- why is it a controversy- sounds harmless- why would anyone care?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• That is why I made this post SOYOUSAY .... I dont understand why ANYONE would have a problem with something like this .. it sounds like a great thing
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2011