Not sure what to think...

I need some advice. My precious one is 9 months old now, and I have not had a break from her for 7 mos. She seems to have trouble being away from me because she doesnt like bottles and is breast fed, but will take a sippy cup. She also has separation issues. I love her sooooo much, is it normal to start feel like your days are just running together and frustration levels are higher than normal? Are breaks Needed? I have gone to the store for mabye 20 mins alone, but I still come back feeling that blah feeling. I try and spice up our days with walks and such, any advice?

IzysMomma

Asked by IzysMomma at 2:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• This is very normal. Try to take an evening away to yourself. Maybe once a month go to a girls night out, have a craft night, jsut go have dinner with a friend. You probably need time away and have adult conversation!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Sorry you're stressed. I went through this A LOT before my son turned a year old. It seemed like the first year was the hardest. Even now, when he's almost 3 I had days like that. Maybe you could join some mommy groups? I'm in MD and belong to a great site and they do play dates and mommies nights out and stuff like that. Its totally normal to want a break from your little one-after all you were an individual before you became a mommy and its tough not to feel like you're losing that sense of self when you have a baby. GL and hang in there!
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 2:52 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Yes, you need a break, you deserve a break, and you should not feel guilty for taking a break. Can you pump so that she can have milk from a sippy and give you a chance to get away? It may be hard for her to have you gone for a bit but she will be ok as long as you leave her with someone you know will give her good care. She is old enough that you can leave for a bit and she will actually be the better for it. It will help her learn to be secure on her own, and it's always fun for babies to interact with someone different than the person who is the primary care taker. She may not like it when you leave but will likely have fun when you are gone and be glad to see you when you get home. More importantly you will come back refreshed. Take more than 20 minutes and do something fun, not a chore like going to the grocery store. See a movie or get your hair done or have lunch with a girlfriend. It makes a big difference. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:52 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It's very normal. I think all children go through separation anxiety.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 2:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• you need to find the time for yourself. I learned my lesson with my third one that i had to just go cause to this day she is 6 and shy. Get out and try to something fun just for you to refresh yourself and both you and your kid will benifit from it. Even just a shower or something you like to do. It is okay to say you need a break. Hang in there.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Thank you very much for the responses, i'm feeling better about it being normal to feel this way. I just felt like I was a horrible mother because i wanted to be away from the baby for a little bit. But I am feeling better about it all now. Once again, thank you
    IzysMomma

Comment by IzysMomma (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• We all need breaks! I would start to go crazy with the same routine, day after day, with not a single moment to myself. You need an entire night, as often as you can, to do whatever you want without having to worry.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 3:20 PM on Feb. 23, 2011