Sons 11th birthday is coming up and I want to make his invitations...I was wondering how to word them...also..would it seem cheap or tacky to make them at this age???

For my sons 11th birthday party (which will be in March) he wants to have a football themed party...all he wants to do is have his friends from school pretty much come over and play football (yes,it will be muddy and maybe even cold...thats boys for ya..he doesnt care).
How would I word this in an invitation? :FOOTBALL BIRTHDAY PARTY"? or something to that effect?
Should I have other games for them to play?
Should I do like prizes or anything?
And why can't I just leave it simple the way he wants it? LOL Its the mommy in me..thats why..
Okay..if the kids are bringing him a present..I just feel there should be something more than to just come over, get muddy and go home?
I don't know. These "Big Kid" parties have me confused.
Of course..I'm going to do food.
Should I do the party bags? If so..what should I put in them for these big guys?
What can I do to make this party stand out ..even just a little? Hire a referee..or whatever those guys in the black and white striped shirts are called,lol.
And I was thinking of just cutting out football shaped invites and handwriting them. What do you think?
Thanks for the advice in advance!

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 2:59 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Maybe you could put TOUCHDOWN at the top of the invite. Then put Join us for football and pizza (or whatever) to celebrate Johnny's 11th Birthday! Then put a time and address. You can get colorful plates and football napkins but I guarentee the boys dont care. They just want a place to run and have fun and lots of food! My dad made a tablecloth for superbowl party. He just took a regular plastic table cloth and drew straight lines acrssit and marked the yard lines on the edge. It was cute!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I'd print the invitations if you have a printer at home. You can still do your football shape, just print it instead on cardstock.

Goodie bags - my 16 yr old picked out funny glasses, glow stick necklaces and glowstick straws along with Hershey bar for the friends that attended her small party. Her party - at home - a few close friends watching movies and eating homemade pizza.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• No goodie bags! I think you should jsut serve great food and have a cake and let them just play. I think the football shaped invites are fine. Less is more t this age..maybe provide good music..
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I hope that didnt come off as harsh I just dont want you to embarrass him! lol
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:08 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• LOL! No, Ria..it didnt come off as harsh at all! I need to make myself think that way..LESS IS MORE!! LOL
    I drive myself nuts with little details...that are most likely just unnecessary and noone even notices but me because I'm the only one doing all the work I put on myself! haha
    TWINS...yep..I have a printer..that is a good idea :)
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 3:11 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Thats a great idea Ria! Thankyou :)
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2011