What is your stance on baptizing infant?

In my religion, we believe that is not necessary to baptize newborn or young children who do not understand. Because they are without sin and baptizing is supposed to be the washing away of sins when you reach the age of understanding (which varies). If you do beleive in baptizing babies, why wash away sins that aren't there?Please shed some light because I never understood on why this has been done for years

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well i'm not for baptising babies either, i believe that it should be when they understand what baptism means and what it is about. maybe they're washing the sinful nature that we're born in?? i never understood it either.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I am with you on this one. The baby has no idea what baptism is...I think its more tradition for some denominations than purpose.
    Anonymous

• Well in the catholic religion as I understand, infants and babies are baptized into the catholic religion, so that they can receive the holy spirit and be protected from sin. There is a sacrament called Confirmation, where older children are "re-baptized" I guess you would say, and they recite the same vows themselves as their godparents recited for them when there were babies.

Like I said this is just how I came to understand it. I was in Catholic school for 10 years. I was baptized when I was 5, did my First Confession and First Holy Communion around 7 or so, and I was about 9 or 10 when I did my Confirmation. I wouldn't call myself a practicing Catholic. And when my Children get older and can understand for themselves, I will allow them to choose whether they are baptized or not.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 3:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Hi -

I don't feel comfortable with it because there are no examples of babies being baptized in the New Testament. There are no verses that mention infants being baptized. I believe someone should be baptized when they are able to repent and confess.

Good question!
    happymom629

Answer by happymom629 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Some religions believe that babies are born with original sin.....this is from the Catholic encyclopedia

Original sin - a consequence of this first sin, the hereditary stain with which we are born on account of our origin or descent from Adam.

and so children are baptized at birth to take care of this. Then later on they are give the choice, (educated mind you, they must take classes) on whether they wish to stay with that religion. I am Catholic and baptized all 3 of my children within the first 3 month. I sincerely hope that this was an honest question and not an opening for people to bash what they dont understand fully. I think that there are many many beliefs and NO ONE RELIGIONG IS CORRECT.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I think its a personal decision. My youngest was 15 months or so when he was baptised, and my oldest was 4. Catholics believe that we are born with original sin, and everyone should have the grace of Jesus with us.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:15 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• As a matter of history, babies have been baptized far longer than adults.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:16 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My religion baptizes babies within the first weeks or months of life.

I think that's because my religion is related to Catholisism (sp sorry). I'm not exactly certain but I believe Catholics believe babies must be baptized or they can't go to heaven(they get suck in limbo i guess). I remember when I was a kid there was a cathoic cemetery and the non-baptized babies (ones who died before a baptism could be conducted) were burried outside of the acutal cemetery in a special area on the edge. I was always confused by that and thought it was sad. I'm not sure if they do that anymore.

pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 3:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• We do dedications for the babies and then once the child is old enough to understand and accept Christ as his/her personal Savior then we do a baptism
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• ((poster))

momof030, I don't see anyone bashing. I am asking a question about something I do not understand (and obviously others). I thought I made it clear. There hasn't been any negative responses on here, and I'd like to keep it that way. I just want to know why people to do. Lets keep it friendly!
    Anonymous