Which yogurts and cheese

which yogurt is the most healthy? and which cheeses?

Gods_Girl1979

Asked by Gods_Girl1979 at 3:01 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Food & Drink

• The Greek yogurts are really good for you. My kids love them with honey or strawberries. For regular, flavored yogurts we buy either the Whole Foods 365 brand (or Stoneyfield or Brown Cow if they are on sale.)

The key for me is reading the ingredients. The fewer the better and I will not buy anything with high fructose corn syrup or gelatin in it.

As for cheese, don't know. That is mostly DH and DD's department. I'm happy with very little cheese in my diet.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Greek yogurt is the best I like oikos brand, and cottage cheese is healthiest
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 5:59 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• It is easy to make your own natural yoghurt. I have a yoghurt maker which turns out a kilo of fresh natural yoghurt overnight. If you do not have one of these get a bottle of milk and a small tub of natural yoghurt. Warm the milk, allow it to cool a little, and stir in the pot of yoghurt. Cover loosely. Wrap the whole lot on a towel and leave it in a warm place for about 12 hours. Unwrap and check the consistency. The refrigerate overnight. If this yoghurt is too runny for you then add more natural yoghurt, warm the whole batch a little again and leave it in a warm place for another day. You need a daytime temperature of around 30 degrees Celsius. Yoghurt is formed by the action of a beneficial bacteria, the milk will not go off.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 6:08 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Feta is the most nutritious cheese. Plain, organic, greek-style yogurt is the healthiest. You need to be careful with dairy, though. Too much can leach iron and other nutrients from the body. You can find a listing of calcium rich foods here:  http://www.soystache.com/calcium

Answer by rkoloms at 6:59 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Organic. And you REALLY don't want to eat gelatin or artificial sweeteners.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 6:06 AM on Feb. 24, 2011