What do you think of this?

A child who's parents never fought around him, he never experienced any hardship or family loss, didn't ever have any trouble in school, and has had an over all "easy" life. Do you think the child (who is now an adult) will deal with confrontation very well? Or will he be at a loss?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Just for Fun

• He will be at a loss, having never had to use any coping skills. Scary!

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I think the question is a little too general. Just because someone has an "easy life" doesn't mean they've never had to deal with confrontation.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 3:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I think it depends on if his parents taught him critical thinking skills. With proper skills he can still avoid confrontation in life because he would be able to logically win an argument if that makes sense and be able to see whats worth fighting about.
    I was raised pretty sheltered and didnt have any issues when I was an adult with it.
    Anonymous

• omg my husband is like this! We were raised in a totally different environment, his family life was so peaceful. When we have arguments he just listens or he doesn't know how to comfort me. I think kids need experience with those things to deal later in life the right way.
    Anonymous

• The person would not know how to deal with hardship, of any kind I would think.

Answer by louise2 at 3:15 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• It depends on the children and how they were raised. My three cousins had a very "easy" childhood. (good parents, got along, lots of money, pretty spoiled). But somehow they raised them to be very mature, compassionate, responsible kids. They handle everything very well. I look to them as the only good examples in my family!
    AliMom714

Answer by AliMom714 at 3:16 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I think it teaches them that there is no real point to confrontation and that disagreements can be handled other ways. Not that I adhere to this parenting style...I don't have it in me.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Nah - they learn that through video games now!
    Anonymous

• First of all, is this even possible? I mean in the world that we live in today...children need these basic skills to cope with the highs and lows of life. Confrontation skills are as important as learning basic math skills! I don't think he'll be able to handle confrontation and will probably get stepped on a lot in this dog-eat-dog world. I think one needs a fair balance between love and hate...otherwise how would they know the best of the two?
    bfabulous

Answer by bfabulous at 9:57 PM on Nov. 19, 2008