Anyone sold their engagement ring?

I have this princess cut 3/4 c gold ring that I'm never going to wear. I know it was $2K - how much can I get for it. Do you have any idea? My mother is telling me tops 50 bucks - might as well give it away. Has anyone ever sold your engagement/diamond ring?? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I was married previously. Well, you can trade diamond for diamond. So I gave my husband (the permanent one LOL) my rings...I had an engagement ring surrounded by 2 wedding bands, all saudered together, all had diamonds in it. Anyways, my husband took it to the jeweler. You can take it to any jewelry store really, the deal is this.... If the ring is worth $1000 you have to purchase a ring worth $2000. Has to be twice the value of what the original is worth. If you saved you papers that is even better other wise I think they appraise it. So my ring was $2000 and I was like a down payment on the engagement ring my husband picked out.
    One of my best friends also did this. She took her original engagement and wedding band set back, to like a Kay Jewelers and traded up. She wanted a nicer one than they originally could afford. Was the same deal.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 5:39 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Well, I guess just go to a reputable pawn shop. Or, you could check out what others are selling similar rings for on Ebay or Amazon.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 3:40 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Ooh, and I just thought of something else... I know a gal who, when her marriage ended, took the diamond out of the ring and made it into a necklace.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 3:41 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I had my engagement/wedding ring reset into a bracelet. My mom had her engagement ring reset into a necklace for me when I graduated college (It only cost $100 to reset - way back when - LOL). Now I have two really nice pieces of jewlery
    You'll never get paid what you originally paid
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 3:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• DONT PAWN IT! I worked in jewelry for many years- pawn shops will give you NOTHING. EBay or craigslist it- OR like chuggerboysmom, have the diamond set into a pendant or bracelet.

grandma gave her diamond ring to her daughter, her daughter reset it into a cocktail ring w/other tiny diamonds, decided she didnt like it and gave it back- as is. Grandma gave it to me, I took the origional diamond and set it into an earring and gave it to my husband. Used the tiny diamonds along with another ring and had them set into a handmade whitegold diamond and saphire nameplate. :)
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 3:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2008