Do you think Freud had it right?

When he said that women marry men that remind them of their fathers either subconsciously or consciously?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Relationships

• I think he was extreme in his way of thinking. I do think people in general are attracted to what they know and consider a norm. For instance, children raised in homes with abuse (either spousal or child) are more likely to live in that kind of environment because they consider that that is how life is meant to be for everyone.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• For the most part, Yes, I do believe that. Its either you marry someone like your father or the complete opposite.
    katyameliasmom

Answer by katyameliasmom at 3:22 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I totally agree with Ginger0104....
    jasesmommy0529

Answer by jasesmommy0529 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• no. well i dont know because i never grew with my father. i was raised by my little sisters father. and my so is nothing like him. he was a dog and very out going. you couldnt pay him to stay in the house. my so loves the house he is very faithful. they are just like night and day.
    NATTY567

Answer by NATTY567 at 3:24 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I think that's true only because humans are creatures of habit. From the ages of 0-6 our brains become mapped with patterns we tend to continue into adulthood.

I've been married twice and both of my husbands have or had elements about them that reminded me of my father. I'd have to say the biggest one is how they groom and dress. Both my first husband and present husband are immaculate dressers. They both wear suits more than than anything else. They als are both immaculate about their hair, shaving, etc..

My father traveled allot for his job and wasn't home much so the biggest thing i remember is how he dressed.
    pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 3:24 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My husband is a lot like my dad.
    AliMom714

Answer by AliMom714 at 3:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I can't speak for anyone else...
    But my boyfriend reminds me of my dad sometimes. My dad is agnostic, my boyfriend is agnostic. My dad is a hard worker, my boyfriend is a hard worker. My dad is a huge bookworm and movie nerd, my boyfriend is a huge anime and movie nerd. They're both family men and have their own sets of inner demons, but they're both great people. They also both like to cook.

I dunno, my dad and I have had our problems, but I admire who he is. I dunno if I picked my boyfriend subconsciously because of that fact, but whatever.

(and that response seems so creepy, oh my effing gawd O.o)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:32 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My husband has a lot of my Dad's traits!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:34 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• It's the absolute truth! I picked my second husband BECAUSE he reminds me of my dad. DH has many of the same qualities that I respected and loved in my dad. And DH is actually pleased about it.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 3:38 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My father is wonderful and treated my mother like a queen (my mom died in 1990 and he has since remarried - treats her beautifully too). I can only hope my boyfriend is anything like my dad and I do think they share many qualities.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 4:30 PM on Nov. 19, 2008