16 Month Old Won't Sleep!!

My youngest son is almost 17 months old and has refused to take a nap the last two days.

Here's the deal: He began climbing out of his crib at only 15 months old, so we converted it to a toddler bed. At nap time I was just rocking him to sleep and then laying him down. However, I didn't want him to get in the habit of this, and this be the only way he could fall asleep. So on Monday I began laying him in bed on his own, well needless to say, he refused to stay. So it took about an hour, but I finally got him to stay in bed and fall asleep (went about it Super Nanny style, lol). Yesterday (Tuesday) I tried for over 2 hours to get him to lay down and finally gave up. Now today, I've been trying for about an hour. He's not crawling out of his bed at this point, but he still isn't sleeping.

He is SO crabby in the evenings because he's not getting naps. I am not sure what else to do. I am used to my oldest son (now almost 4) who always LOVED his sleep and actually looked forward to nap time and bed time. Now it's a whole different ball game with this little one...

Please help!

MichaelsMom330

Asked by MichaelsMom330 at 3:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I spanked my children for getting up when they had been put to bed. You cannot make him go to sleep but you can make him stay in the bed or discipline him if he doesn't. It's really just his way of showing you he doesn't have to do what you've asked him to do, and it will carry over into other areas as he gets older. We had the same issue with our grandson when he switched to a toddler bed, but after about 2 days of getting spanked for getting up, he now goes down quite easily. Seventeen months is definitely too young to give up the afternoon nap, and there is some evidence now that lack of sleep in young children affects brain development, so I would not want to risk it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• You could switch to having a quiet time instead of a nap. Read books to him and then tell him he has to stay in his room/bed to play quietly or "read" books. Some kids just don't need as much sleep as others. He may be ready to give up his nap even though it is on the young side. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:22 PM on Feb. 23, 2011