I have a 11 month ols and I'm 5 weeks pregnant. My gynocolgist told me to stop breastfeeding at 3 months but my baby's pediatrician told me to continue until I'm 5 or 6 months pregnant. What should I do?

wi3emom

Asked by wi3emom at 3:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do what you think it is best for you and your baby.

Answer by older at 3:25 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I would follow my ob docs advice. He's looking out for you.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 3:26 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• There has been a ton of research into breastfeeding while pregnant. My own RE was 100% opposed to BF while TTC or pg, that being said, he has retracted his statement and now encourages women to bf as long as baby wants.

There is no reason to stop at 5 or 6 months. Many women, including myself, breastfeed throughout pregnancy and until preschool.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 3:26 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• If you are not high risk, you don't have to listen to EITHER of them. Sadly, docs get little training in breastfeeding.

Loads of info here: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/tandem/index.html

Answer by gdiamante at 3:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Why did your gyn recommend you quit? I got pregnant with my 3rd when I was breastfeeding my 2nd. My dr recommended I quit because my hemoglobin was extremely low, dangerously so - any extra iron would be going first to my unborn, then into my breastmilk for my 2nd. It's important that you take care of yourself so you can continue to take care of BOTH of your kids!

Answer by missanc at 3:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Unless there is an unknown health risk that we don't know, I would continue to BF until baby comes or the other one refuses to nurse.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Do what is best for you and your family!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 3:38 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• If you're not high risk, continue nursing for however long you wish to continue.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I would listen to your OB.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 4:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• unless you have a history of miscarriage, preterm labor or preterm birth. there is no need to stop breastfeeding while pregnant
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2011