How to change this bad habbit?>?

My son will be 3 in march. He has gotten peas/corn in bed for a routine..

I am going to start tonight by having him eat in tell he is full then go to bed... we usually stop watching t.v and give him a bath about 7 pm... bed time is at 8. But he is sososo wide awake. at 8 pm.. It takes him awhile to fall asleep.. which has him up in bed eating peas/corn../ what can i do to help this situation out.
He gets about 1-1/2 hours  a nap.. he has tons of energy.. but i also need to do dishes.. laundry at night.. so its hard.. that is why i have the t.v on.. but i want that part to stop!

I need some ideas. please

Thank you

P.S he goes to day care so we come home at 4 ish.. turn the t.v on for him.. he watches movies.. that we own.. then we eat and then t.v again.. i'd like to do things differently but how??

Mrs.Ro

Asked by Mrs.Ro at 3:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Stop the nighttime TV after dinner. TV and computers keep the brain awake (even if the body is tired) which makes it hard for the person to fall asleep easily. I would suggest playing a board game, reading books, doing a craft, or something else productive. As far as the eating in bed, just tell him that he can't do that anymore. Personally, that was rather odd in reading that he ate peas/corn in bed, but to each their own. Make sure that he eats his meal and if he's hungry afterwards give him a second helping. However, it's just a matter of stopping the bad habits and making new ones that are healthier.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• TV is not stimulating enough to get him tired enough for bed, I am not sure what the whole peas and corn thing is but if thats his bedtime snack, have him eat it in the living room as a wind down 15 minute show before bed, otherwise try to be more active and no tv until that 15 minutes before bed and see if that makes a difference..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:40 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• is he eatting in bed? take it away, check him for for food and check his room before you put him to bed. how long of a nap does he take? my ds usually takes one thats about 1 - 1 1/2 hrs long because if he dosent, he'll be up at 3am lol he is allowed to have up to 5 cars to play with at night until he goes to sleep but if he dumps out his toy bins the cars get taken away...if he does it again, no toys until the morning.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 3:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I think the time post daycare until dinner should be for play time. I often will put my DD at the table with a project to work on so that I can keep an eye on her and talk to her while I cook, or she helps me cook to the best of her ability sometimes as well. He could play games, play outside, etc, but you want him to get some activity and interaction rather than just plop down in front of the tv. If DD wants tv after dinner she is allowed one short show- max 30 minutes. As for once he is in bed, I would not allow eating in bed, just make a new rule that no food is allowed in bed. At our house it's bath at 7, then we get jammies on, read a couple of stories, sing a couple of songs and into bed she goes. She may read in bed as long as she likes. She looks at books, sings to herself, etc, and I leave a cd on softly for music, but no tv once she is in bed. I would try something similar for your son. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:31 PM on Feb. 23, 2011