Question about BF/weaning/whole milk

My second child is 10 1/2 months old, and he is losing interest in nursing. I nursed my first baby until she was a year old and had planned to do the same with the second. The thing is, neither of my kids ever had bottles (both refused the few times we offered BM in a bottle). I know that you are supposed to wait until they are a year old to give them whole milk, so what should I do? It seems unfortunate to start formula for a month and a half (and I don't really think he would even drink it). I wish he would keep nursing for a little longer, but it decreases every day. He is just more interested in real food. Any suggestions?

AliMom714

Asked by AliMom714 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just start giving him more food. I don't think a little whole milk is going to hurt.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 3:40 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• He is not supposed to get even one bite of solids till he's nursed. That's all the way to the first birthday. It'll tick him off when you insist on that but that is fine. Your job is to make sure he eats what he's supposed to. Solids in year one are a treat. Solids before nursing at this point is like chocolate cake before chicken and peas when he's older.

So steel yourself. You're going to have a bit of trouble from him, but NO solids till he nurses nicely. Solids are a reward given immediately after nursing.

Too early for cow's milk, sorry.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:42 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Both of my kids weaned themselves at 9 months old. When it became a MAJOR fight to get either of them to nurse for even five minutes I got the clue. My daughter took to a bottle better than her brother, but neither one was fond of bottles. We'd mix the formula in a sippy cup and offer it that way.

I would wait on the whole milk until he's 12 months old. We got the Target brand formula in the large cans. Same stuff as Similac or Enfamil but a good $2-$5 cheaper. I would also suggest you talk to his doctor about what to do since he is weaning himself.

I DO NOT agree with the mom that says force the nursing no matter what. YOU know your baby best.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Oh, in addition: My son is now 7 and the size of a 10 year old. My daughter is almost 4 and the size of a 5-6 year old.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Less solids. Don't give any solids until he's nursed. Otherwise, you'll have to use formula until 12 mos if you don't nurse. If you do go to formula, the same rules apply. No solids until he's had his formula. How many times a day does he nurse?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• I do NOT agree with the first answer! no solids till after a year? that's crazy! you are supposed to start mushed fruit and veges as early as 6 months, even 4 months if the baby wants it and can sit up by themselves.... However, you are supposed to start with rice and oatmeal baby cereal before the fruits and veges.... Every baby is different, and I would go with what your baby wants... My oldest, now 9 years old, weaned himself off breastfeeding at 6 months no matter what I did, so I started baby foods and cereal with him.
    I started whole milk AROUND 1 year with all four of my boys.... My WIC nutritionist and even four different doctors and pediatricians told me it is ok to give them whole milk around 10-11 months a little at a time, and they should be drinking juice (half juice half water) at 6-9 months old to start.... And to also give them vanilla yogurt and icecream to help their stomaches and digestive systems get
    mamajojo024

Answer by mamajojo024 at 4:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• used to it. I hope I helped you a little, feel free to friend me and ask any other questions, I have four boys 9,7,6, and 15 months old, so I know what I'm talking about and could give you lots of advice if you need it! :) lol Good Luck!!
    mamajojo024

Answer by mamajojo024 at 4:08 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• Really he needs either breast milk or formula until he reaches 12 months. As unfortunate as it is, they need the nutrients in them.
    My DD selfweanted at 11 months and I FF for a month.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• you are supposed to start mushed fruit and veges as early as 6 months, even 4 months if the baby wants it and can sit up by themselves.... However, you are supposed to start with rice and oatmeal baby cereal before the fruits and veges.... Every baby is different, and I would go with what your baby wants... My oldest, now 9 years old, weaned himself off breastfeeding at 6 months no matter what I did, so I started baby foods and cereal with him.

Not really. You don't HAVE to start purees at 6 mos, but you CAN. And they don't have to be pureed. And, you don't have to start with, or ever use, infant cereal. If a child stops nursing at 6 mos, they'll need either pumped milk or formula until 12 mos. And USUALLY, babies don't wean that young, it's more likely that it was a nursing strike, or something else.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:52 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• if he wont nurse try pumping!! if u can pump 8-10 times a day and for 15-20 min at a time u can still give him breast milk!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:45 PM on Feb. 23, 2011