Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice needed on dealing with an insurance company after a car wreck

My husband was in a wreck this morning, the other driver was found completely at fault, and his insurance is dragging their heels--about getting us a rental car (this car is our only car, and we both work full time) and getting our car towed, immediately. Does anyone have advice on how to deal with them, how to get them moving on this?

Answer Question

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 3:42 PM on Feb. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 22 (14,603 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • get an attorney.

    Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 3:43 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

  • Oh, no! Have you called your own insurance company yet? I was rear-ended a couple of years ago, and my company got a lot of things rolling with the other company. I just had to call my agent and THEY harassed the other company.

    Answer by gdiamante at 3:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

  • My husband did talk to someone at our company, but apparently we have to file paperwork and talk to the other company about a rental? And the cop told him that things need to happen within 15 days. I'm not sure exactly, I wasn't there with him. He's out now with his sister getting his prescription filled and getting our things out of our car. I'll ask him what our company said when he gets back, maybe give them another call.

    Comment by DragonRiderMD (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

  • My spouse's car was hit a couple of weeks ago, and now I feel like an expert! You need to file a the claim with your insurance company, and let them fight with the other company (this is why you pay your premiums!). The medical and physical therapy bills are being submitted to our insurance company; unfortunately, the other person had a falsified proof of insurance, and was actually uninsured. Thank G-d we have uninsured motorist coverage, and the medical bills and lost wages are all covered.

    Answer by rkoloms at 4:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

  • Hire an attorney. We did all the steps PP are talking about and still had issues with the other drivers insurance, when we started getting final notices on the Dr. bills we got an attorney and went through our own insurance (who will get reimbursed from the settlement).


    Answer by emptynstr at 4:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

  • Also, keep a record of anything you have to spend money on because of the wreck. My sister was recently in a car wreck, where the other driver was at fault/ driving under the influence. Her car was totalled, and she ended up with broken bones/medical bills. She was told that the other driver's insurance would cover everything. She filed a claim through her insurance, and they're taking care of everything, but she has to keep accurate record of all incurred expenses, even things like "house keeper to clean house during 1st week, when walking, even with cast was impossible."
    Good luck.

    Answer by ladymomtraveler at 5:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

  • I'm not worried about them providing a car right now, but they were grumbling about stipulations like what kind of coverage we have, when that doesn't matter since our insurance company isn't the one paying for things. It just seemed like a glimpse of things to come, if you know what I mean. Just some examples.

    Comment by DragonRiderMD (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

  • So sorry you are going through this ... my daughter went through the same recently.

    Initially, my daughter's insurance company got her a rental car and all medical expenses paid up front, then the other insurance company reimbursed her insurance company , and she used the attorney she had through her PrePaid Legal membership to make sure everything was handled right and she got a fair settlement.

    You shouldn't have to pay anything out of pocket, but may need to go through your insurance company initially.

    Good luck

    Answer by MaryJacobs at 11:20 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

  • After you file a claim with your insurance company, both companies are going to want your statement as to what happened. After that it's up to them to work things out. If your insurance agent won't fight for you, it sounds like it's time to get a new agent.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 11:31 AM on Feb. 24, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.